It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Constant Annoying Pressure/aches left side of head

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2003, 04:49 PM   #1
    ndipat01

ndipat01 HB User
    Post Constant Annoying Pressure/aches left side of head

Hi, was wondering if someone could shed some light on this..

for years now i've had a constant pressure/ache feeling on the left side of my head...on the other side of my ear region. It's not a sharp pain but more like a dull ache that comes and goes sporadically. Just wanted to know if anyone thinks this is serious or if anyone is suffering with the same symptoms.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #2
    JanineA

JanineA HB User
    You could have blocked sinuses. Do you suffer allergies for have a cold?

Old 06-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
    ndipat01

ndipat01 HB User
    I've never been tested for allergies...and I can breathe normally.

Could it be tension or the fact that i'm staring at a computer screen for many hours each day?

Old 06-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
    Gaitsofgold

Gaitsofgold HB User
    Mine is usually on the right side of my head, but occasionally goes to the left side. It starts in the back of my neck and goes up, around my ear and into my temple, and behind my eye. Is this what you are experiencing? Mine also comes and goes. Sometimes it gets severe. No medication seems to help so far. What medications have you tried, and have they helped at all?

Randi

Old 06-02-2003, 02:31 PM   #5
    ndipat01

ndipat01 HB User
    Mine has always stayed in the same position, does not move. Again, it's a sporadic dull ache type thing. Definitely different from a headache. I'm just wondering what it could be. I'm gonna be going to the Dr. for a checkup in July so i'll ask then. Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this as well.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:21 AM   #6
    JanineA

JanineA HB User
    I have allergies, and I can breathe OK and my nose is completely clear. When I inhale strong smells (cleaning products, perfumes etc) or consume certain foods, the tiny tubes draining the sinuses swell & block & hence the pressure & pain.

I often have a post-nasal drip & when I drink wine, I can feel my nose tightening & sure enough I get a headache.

The other thing worth investigating is TMJ - I think I saw some post something on it - its to do with the jaws and muscles and if you find yourself clenching your teeth - such as when your sitting on your comp all day - its very treatable.

regards Janine

Old 06-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    I am on 4th week of having a very dull pressure on the top of my head. It's usually a vague sort of pressure but at times it can be fairly sharp. Sometimes I feel like I can't focus on things (fuzzy vision) and it hurts to tilt my neck back and my shoulders are really sore. I have had lots of blood work and a cat scan done which both came back normal. I am scheduled for an MRI next Monday. I'm worried about what the MRI might find but I feel it's what I need to have done. My docotor seems to think it's due to muscular contraction and anxiety but I have a hard time accepting that diagnosis so I requested the MRI. I have been prescribed Neurontin, Lexapro, and Xanax but I have quit taking the Lexapro because I couldn't take the way it made me feel. Today has actually been one of my better days. I slept for 12 hours yesterday using a heat pad on my neck. I don't know if that has anything to do with me feeling somewhat better today or if it was just a coincidence.

[This message has been edited by actudan (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-05-2003, 05:49 AM   #8
    JanineA

JanineA HB User
    Actudan,

Your headache sounds muscular, and the more worried your becoming, the worse its getting. Have you tried a massage by a sports physio?

Old 06-05-2003, 06:12 AM   #9
    actudan
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

actudan HB User
    JanineA,

No I haven't tried a massage yet but I have been thinking about it. I had a deep tissue massage awhile back and I may try that again to see if it helps. I hope that it's only a muscular thing. Lately, my head pressure hasn't been as bad though I do still feel it. Now it's more my neck. It only hurts when I tilt it back and I can tell it's stiff when I turn left or right. I didn't think it was muscular at first because I noticed the head pressure for a week before I noticed any tension in my neck. I don't know if the tension in my neck happened after I started tensing up over my head pressure or if the neck is actually causing the problem.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
    ndipat01

ndipat01 HB User
    The more I think about it the more I think the sinus theory is right... What does everyone else think? Although, I would think that if it were my sinuses it'd be facial pressure instead...unless I have sinuses in the back of my head... not sure. The pressure is towards the base of my head. Could be blocked ear tubing? i donno...

Closed Thread