It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Neurontin withdrawal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2003, 04:18 AM   #1
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Post Neurontin withdrawal?

Hello - I want to stop taking neurontin, and am wondering if anyone has experienced any withdrawal symptoms? I have only been taking it for 10 days, 300 mg at night, however I just feel to groggy and "out of it" all day since taking this med. It is really difficult to function at work. If this side-effect would go away, I would continue taking the med, however after 10 days, I still feel "drunk".

I will also pose this question to my doctor, but he always seems to tell me that I will never experiecne any side-effects or withdrawal symtpoms. It seems 300 mg is a low dose - I wonder if I can quit it cold turkey? What have beem people's experiences withdrawing from neurontin?

thanks for any info!
    mbr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
    Amanda Herring

Amanda Herring HB User
    Hi there again!
    Neurontin is a toxic medication!!! And further more, your doctor is LYING to you!!! Grant it, this stuff might work for some, and I'm sure it does help true epileptics. But we are talking about PAIN here! A vicodin would help your pain and not completely SCREW your mental faculties in the way that the neurontin does. But for some reason they would rather try the new and you had better believe - highly expensively marketed poisons first. Do you realize that drug representatives that only have to look like Barbie or Ken for credentials make around $60K/year to wine and dine doctors and their staff while they pass out pamphlets and samples of these *new miracles* every day?? It is legal prostitution and you and I are the victims. I'm sorry for being so darned cynical but these drugs and moronic lying doctors have really hardened me in the past year!! I really hate to see others going through this - On one hand it makes me feel good to know that I'm not alone, but on the other hand it really ANGERS me to see so many others in this awful boat!!! I'm really glad to have met you and I hope that we can break through all of the B.S. and find something that will really get us through these painful challenges life throws our way.
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif

Old 09-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Hi Amanda - have you tried neurontin? Either the neurontin or effexor xr withdrawal is making me nuts. I mean, I can't shake this dizziness, plus I feel like I have the flu or something. I'm working at an Air Force site starting monday, and I sure better feel good by then, because I can't call in sick!

I could ramble on for hours about doctors, but what they don't seem to understand is that I want to FIX what is causing my pain, and not just treat the pain symptom. It seems like when I am trying to get my point across to them, they don't even want to listen. My dad is a doctor is my wife was a sales rep, and I know what I am talking about when I am describing my symptoms to the docs, but I swear they don't believe anything I ever say and just treat me how they want to regardless.

My wife got out of the sales rep work for some of the reasons like you describe. She did it for 10 years, and was very good at it, but nowadays it is just a racket. Most people involved don't give a hoot about making patients feel better, but rather how much money they can fill their pockets with.

I am soooooooo frustrated that nobody can figure out what is causing my symptoms (chronic daily sinus type head pain, pressure, ears blocked up - like a never ending head cold!). I have tried almost everything treatment wise I can think of. Eventually I am going to just check myself into whatever the best overall medical clinic is in the US, and just tell them to fix me! I am so tired of seeing so many doctors and getting nowhere.

I am heading out of town for a month beginning monday, but I hope to stay in touch with you. If you didn't already tell me, what is bothering you? Headaches? This darn neurontin has me so out of it, I can't think straight at all.

take care, and thanks for the info!
    mbr

Old 09-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Hi Amanda again - I just read your reply to my effexor question, so disregard some of my questions above. Geez, I am just a mess of confusion, feels like I drank a couple bottles of wine (that would be preferable!).

mbr

Old 09-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #5
    Amanda Herring

Amanda Herring HB User
    Hi again,
    I'm sorry my first response was more of a *venting* than any real information! It's too easy for me to get carried away on this topic, because it hits a real nerve with me!!
    Yes, I took neurontin for a very brief period of time but found myself exactly like you describe now - completely out of it! I remember feeling like a zombie and my friends/coworkers complained that I constantly repeated myself. I experienced serious confusion doing normal activities that I have done for years and years! On one particular day I stopped at my normal gas station and pulled up on the wrong side of the pump. When I realized the crazy thing I had just done, I drove around to the right side and then had to figure the pump out - as if it were the first time I had ever used it!!!! I cried all the way to my office and when I got there I just shut/locked my door and paniced because I had to complete employee evaluations and had just learned how to pump gas at 32!!! With the blessing of my psychologist and neurologist, I immediately discontinued the neurontin. I was told that the w/d effects that were noted in my pharmacy leaflet would not happen to me since I was not taking it for epilepsy, however I experienced a partial-grand seizure 2 days post -neurontin. None of my doctors "want to point fingers" at the drug, yet they all remain extremely tight-lipped about what actually caused that seizure last year and I remain seizure-free to this day. Needless to say, I believe that neurontin is toxic and doctors are liars!
    They say that neurontin is good for preventing chronic pain so I assume that the FDA has licensed it for use in this purpose. Perhaps it does so because your mind is so screwed up that you don't know if you're coming or going so that the pain is only a secondary problem in your life. It did nothing for my h/a pain or my arthritis pain. As far as I'm concerned, this drug has no use in the cabinet unless you are a serious epileptic!!! Since you are not taking it for epilepsy, the doctor may tell you to go off of it cold turkey as mine did - assuming of course that your doctor will want you off of it upon learning how it has effectively turned your brain into mush - Or you may be weaned off of it. My father weaned slowly off of it (he took it for headache pain), but I don't really know if the doctor wanted it that way, or if he insisted after what happened to me. He recovered nicely from being poisoned, and I certainly pray that you do too!!!! Please feel free to email me anytime!

[This message has been edited by Amanda Herring (edited 09-05-2003).]

Old 09-05-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
    Amanda Herring

Amanda Herring HB User
    My bet's on the wine! It will do SO much better than that biohazard they market as neurontin!!! (Especially a really good merlot -but watch out -too much could cause a migraine!!)
    *cheers*
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 09-05-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
    mbr22

mbr22 HB User
    Merlot does sound very good!

Anyway, again thanks for the information. Question - I have been on the neurontin for about 10 days now, 300 mg at bedtime. I don't think that is a very high dose from what i have read, and i am hoping that if last night was my last dose, i won't get any bad withdrawal symptoms. How high a dose were you on?

Also, since I have been off the effexor for 5 full days, can I expect some releif soon from the dizziness? Geez, even if these meds got rid of the pain, the dizziness is really almost as bad (not quite, but close).

Thanks again!

Closed Thread