It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Muscle tension neck/headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
    vetski179
    (male)

vetski179 HB User
    Muscle tension neck/headache

For about 1-Ĺ years, I have been suffering from recurrent headaches. I believe these are muscle tension headaches. They almost always start while Iím sleeping, and I wake up with them. The headaches always manifest themselves like this: Take your fingers and place the tips on the back of your neck, on either side of you spine. Youíll feel a thick cord like tendon or muscle mass under the skin. The headache always starts with the one on the left side of my neck, where this cord-like tendon goes into the base of my skull. The ache starts there, and itís very noticeable, and is dull, but not incredibly painful. There is also a spot on the lower left rear part of my skull, very near where the cord-like tendon goes into my skull that is painful with a slight amount of pressure. (This area IS NOT sensitive in the same way once the headache goes away) If not immediately treated with a sufficient dose of Ibuprofen, the pain starts to climb the back of my head. Eventually affecting all the musculature on my head, when those muscles will throb, and then itís EXTREMELY painful, almost to the point of me being unable to function. (I have read descriptions of migraines, and I donít think mine is one)
    Todayís headache was this bad WHEN I WOKE UP! It took 8 Advilís to alleviate the pain.
    Some background info that might help: Around 2002, I injured my right shoulder. Impingement syndrome was the diagnosis. This was surgically repaired. Pain persisted however, mainly in a constantly cramped right-sideĖof-neck trapezius muscle. I underwent some pain management treatments including trigger point injections for this. The treatment was discontinued before any real progress was made. At around this point the headaches started. Iíve seen a chiropractor semi-regularly, which every once in a while seemed to be a miracle cure, where, after an adjustment, the head aches would be gone for a mater of months (at best. Sometimes the miracle lasted just a couple of weeks) However, theyíve always returned.
    I tried my family doctor. He said I was overdosing on Ibuprofen and that was causing the headaches. This didnít wash with me because, while frequent, the headaches come on different days, and sometimes I donít get them for a few days. I felt, if what the doctor said were true, Iíd get them ALL the time. Part of his treatment for me was for me to ignore the pain and not take Ibuprofen. He said after a couple days the pain would go away. I tried, and it was the worst week of my life! He also prescribed an expensive alternate prescription drug that I was to take instead of Ibuprofen. I felt Iíd be substituting one drug for another, and I didnít want to spend the money either!
    Iíve tried many different home remedies, including stretching before bed, hot pads, different pillows, chiropractic pillows with the hollow in the middle, different sleeping positions, and, unfortunately, Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen being the only thing (and only OTC pain medication) that consistently works to alleviate my pain.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    Re: Muscle tension neck/headache

1. See your doctor to check for any serious cause

2. See a physiotherapist for some hands on work on your neck/shoulders, and an excersise regime

3. Try taking 2 Advil together with 2 Percogesic for pain. Percogesic is acetaminophen with a tranquiliser / muscle relaxant.

Rub some peppermint oil or Ben Gay into your neck and shoulders.

Last edited by aussiejono; 04-13-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
    vetski179
    (male)

vetski179 HB User

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
    Tranquildream
    (female)

Tranquildream HB User

I feel for you. I have the same sorta problem... I get a pinched nerve in my neck too and it gives me the absolute worst headaches. It feels like a string that goes from the left side of the back of my neck to the back of my occular nerve (behind my eye). Thank God I don't get any eye pain with my headaches although my whole head does feel as though it's throbbing beyond belief!

I know it's miserable and I have tried everything! I did find a muscle relaxer that seems to help much more than any other I have tried though is Soma (Carisoproldal) I too try Ibuprophen. I get a prescription for the big 800 MG's of Ibuprophen and that doesnt seem to help either. Another thing you could try that I take as a last resort is believe it or not, Imitrex! And it knocks it out almost every single time. A very, very small dose. In fact I break my 50 MG tablets into 3rds and only take a small piece and it it works like I said pretty much every single time. I think it works because as the inflamation in your neck gets worse and worse it starts to swell around the nerves until you finally get the "throbbing" feeling in your head and the Imitrex actually tightens or constricts rather, everything up hence a lot of times making it possible for the nerve to be released to a greater or lesser degree which stops the pain and the throbbing totally.

I am 41 years old and have been in a lot of pain almost all my life from an auto accident I was in, in 1994. So, I have tried this and tried that. I am like a walking pharmacist already at this point it feels like. In fact, whenever my freinds have a new med or an issue with their health and want a possible solution or some help, I am always the 1st one they call, lol. I am not saying I know what is best for everyone because I certainly do not. All I am saying is that I am always willing to lend my support and helpful ideas of what has and has not worked for me. Which of course doesnt mean it will work for eveyone but, if I can even help 1 person be in less pain I am glad...

Anywho, I will shutup now lol...

*have a great pain-free day!*

Old 04-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
    vetski179
    (male)

vetski179 HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding Imitrex, is that a prescription drug? The side effects of Ibuprofen are what's really worrying me, with the large doses of the OTC Ibuprofen I'm taking (like today when I awoke. 7 pills at 200mg). Does Imitrex have similar side effects?

Closed Thread