It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Topamax and Neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
    LynnF
    (female)

LynnF HB User
    Topamax and Neurontin

Hi - My first time here. I was on Topamax for migraines and it worked fine, once in a while there was a break-thru migraine and then I took Midrin. Another health problem is a nerve in my left leg, the pain became so horrible, I asked my doc for something. She prescribed Neurontin, but wasn't 100% sure about combining it with Topamax. She said the Neurontin helps headaches, so since I couldn't reach my neurologist who was out of town, I eased myself off Topamax. Now, the migraines are coming back as well as a new symptom - ice pick headaches. Boy, are they scarey. I wonder if anyone has some experience with Topamax and Neurontin together? I'm going to get an appt with the Neurologist, but at the moment, I'm seriously thinking about restarting Topamax to see if there's any help with these sharp, stabbing pains in my head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
    Faith68
    (female)

Faith68 HB User
    Re: Topamax and Neurontin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LynnF View Post
    Hi - My first time here. I was on Topamax for migraines and it worked fine, once in a while there was a break-thru migraine and then I took Midrin. Another health problem is a nerve in my left leg, the pain became so horrible, I asked my doc for something. She prescribed Neurontin, but wasn't 100% sure about combining it with Topamax. She said the Neurontin helps headaches, so since I couldn't reach my neurologist who was out of town, I eased myself off Topamax. Now, the migraines are coming back as well as a new symptom - ice pick headaches. Boy, are they scarey. I wonder if anyone has some experience with Topamax and Neurontin together? I'm going to get an appt with the Neurologist, but at the moment, I'm seriously thinking about restarting Topamax to see if there's any help with these sharp, stabbing pains in my head.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
    Faith68
    (female)

Faith68 HB User

This is my first time on here, but I am on both Neurontin and Topamax and they both work great together. It keeps the daily headaches that I have away or to a dull pain. I dont know what I would do without them. I hope I was of some help, this is just my personal experience. Take Care

Old 11-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
    supermom3
    Veteran
    (female)

supermom3 HB User

Hi Faith!

My daughter was just diagnosed (after an MRI) with classic migraines (or migraines with Aura) - I wasn't sure if they were at first, because she hasn't had identical symptoms compared with other migraine sufferers whom I've talked to and whom I've read about, but the doctor said a lot of different "scenarios" fall under migraine diagnosis. For example, she doesn't get them on either side of the head, but rather in the forehead. Some people I know are "done for the day", but she hasn't had to miss work, stay home from social activities, etc. Also, she's been getting them daily since August - the dr thinks her headaches were probably a tension/migraine combination and they just got into a cycle - she started Topomax yesterday - we're keeping our fingers crossed.

take care!
    supermom3

Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
    Jmellen
    (female)

Jmellen HB User

A word of warning about Topomax. I started taking it daily a few years back and it worked extremely well. Unfortunately, about 6 months after I started, it stopped working as well and it caused a very severe kidney problem, including a stone that resulted in three surgeries. I was then immediately taken off the medication because there was a high chance it would cause further kidney problems. I also have two friends who have had similar issues with their kidneys and the medication.

Closed Thread