It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• why is propranolol not recommended for people w/ allergic rhinitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
    thaele
    Inactive
    (female)

thaele HB User
    why is propranolol not recommended for people w/ allergic rhinitis?

Hey Everyone,

I was diagnosed with migraines when I was 7, had them 2-3 times/week.. up until about 3 years ago (now 23). I was lucky enough sometimes to go a few months without in the later years but then would end up with auras minus the pain and vice versa. Finally said I had had enough, my doc sent me to a neurologist who prescribed me a wonder drug called propranolol and I had been migraine-free for 3 years! It was amazing. Until Saturday..

Saturday, for absolutely no reason (none of my prior triggers), I started to get the visual aura, followed by numbness/nasea/etc.. I KNEW a migraine was imminent and I was right. I went to bed, popped a few pain pills.. slept for a few hours and to today, I still don't feel 100%.

When I took propranolol I only took it for about 2-3 months then weened myself off of it, suffered a few severe headaches (though I didn't complain as compared to before), possibly 1 migraine but nothing compared to saturday's or prior to the treatment.. I don't know if it's common to have migraines stop after such a short period of time on treatment though had I not taken those meds I just know the migraines would have continued on.

I've gone 3 years without and now am wondering if I need another round of these. I tried to look up adverse affects on pregnancy as I am trying to get pregnant and in my search found that people with allergic rhinitis shouldn't take it. Lucky me, I've been diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and I've had it for over a year. Why is it bad? I've tried to find some sort of reason behind it but everything online just states it's bad without a reason. Could someone please shed some light on this? I've also been found to have a slight thyroid problem, numbers suggest hyperthyroid but my symptoms are more like hypothyroid.. though I guess the labs can't lie and it's a slight hyperthyroid problem.

Also I know not enough studies have been done with pregnancy and beta-blockers to really warrant any sort of answer here, but if anyone has any sort of input on this too would really appreciate it.

If I have to go a few months without trying to get pregnant I will. I have felt sick since Saturday, though haven't actually thrown up. I've had the numbness/light headedness off and on. It just feels horrible and I can't focus. I'm tempted to ask for these meds again but if there's a serious complication with allergic rhinitis what else is there that I can take as a preventative? I've confirmed with a pregnancy test I'm not pregnant, though have yet to get my period. Am not sure if it's a false negative, or period is still to come.

If there's anyone out there who could just provide any sort of input I'd really appreciate it. I honnestly thought I was migraine-free for life. My neuro did mention I may have to take it again I guess, but I thought if in 3 years I didn't have to, I never would.

It's kind of depressing to think that my migraines could be coming back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
    thaele
    Inactive
    (female)

thaele HB User
    Re: why is propranolol not recommended for people w/ allergic rhinitis?

Well I just played stump the pharmacist and won. He had no idea about this, but upon referencing material, it also stated the same except neglects to give an explanation. He said he'd try to research a bit but won't be able to get back to me for a few days. I have a doc's appointment tomorrow so if anyone who reads this knows anything about this, could you please respond? I may request the meds anyway and use them only once I find out what the deal is with the allergic rhinitis. Though, I'm sure my doc wouldn't want to prescribe them if there's possible complications and doesn't know at that point what it is.. I just don't want the migraines to come back

Old 01-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
    krlsgrl
    (female)

krlsgrl HB User

Just my opinion, but I've also tried propranolol and it caused me to be depressed. I was taking a tiny dose.
    I don't think propranolol is a permanent cure -- in other words, when a person stops taking it, the headaches can/will come back.

topamax is another headache preventive, but probably not good for pregnant women. sometimes headaches are brought on by hormone fluctuations, esp in women. As others on this board have mentioned, avoiding certain foods (chocolate, citrus, aged cheese, coffee, and many more) can prevent many headaches. I notice that if I get more or less sleep, it can trigger one. Maybe eliminating the foods and other causes will reduce your headache frequency so that you feel better more of the time.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
    jonstar
    Inactive
    (male)

jonstar HB User

Propanolol can precipitate Astmah in those predisposed to it by blocking beta receptors in the lung. People with alergic rhinitis could be more prone to astmha than average, so the drug company covers its butt and says dont use it.

Atenolol doesnt do this (or does it to a much lesser degree), it also doesnt cause depression

Closed Thread