It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• 3 week headache- advice please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
    leeditt
    (female)

leeditt HB User
    3 week headache- advice please!

Hello all,

I am new here and have never experienced headaches before. I've had a 3 1/2 week headache now that is there from the moment i wake up to when i go to bed. it doesn't bother my sleep, it's just mainly a dull, achy pain in my forehead, and in the back and sides of my head. Here are my symptoms:

-forehead headache (dull, achy, "burny", continuous)
    -back/side head pain (both sides. scalp feels sore)
    -lots of pressure/tightness in ears and jaw area
    -eyes tend to hurt during computer work
    -slightly sore teeth
    -slightly sore mouth (hurts to eat sometimes)
    -head just feels like it's being squeezed alot

Does this sound like a tension headache? My doc says it could be that and slight TMJ, but i'm not sure. I've never had any dental work, head trauma or anything like this. I'm also not any more stressed now than any other time in my life before. No major changes have happened to me lately. I just don't understand why this headache won't stop!

Anyone have any idea what I should do? Doc has already tried antibiotics for sinus, and ruled that out. She thinks it's a tension headache and i have an appt. to do physical therapy.

Thank you!

-Leeann

Last edited by leeditt; 06-01-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
    Chele60
    Veteran
    (female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
    Re: 3 week headache- advice please!

This is just a guess, but could there be a possibility that you might grind your teeth in your sleep? I know I do on occasion, sometimes worse than at others, and when I really grind I can wake up with sore teeth, sore mouth, unable to open my mouth, headache, pressure - almost all the symptoms you bring up here. There are times when I know I'm more stressed, and then there are times when I don't think I'm stressed at all. The solution for me was to have my dentist fit me with a night guard that I wear whenever I know I've been grinding my teeth. This might be something for you to check out.

I have also had tension headaches, and they aren't all that much fun, either. I think they are more difficult to get rid of, personally. For me, I take a combination of muscle relaxers and naproxen sodium (Aleve), and after a couple of days it's usually gone. I just don't like taking the muscle relaxers! However, if you have tension headaches, and your doctor has something other than drugs that work, that would be fabulous!

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
    leeditt
    (female)

leeditt HB User

Thanks Chele-

I really don't think I grind my teeth- my husband can verify this! I COULD be clenching my jaw when i sleep i suppose, though i've never had trouble with this before (doesn't mean i couldn't be now though).

I guess I just want to make sure my symptoms don't sound like anything serious. My doc says they don't, but I like to get advice from people who actually share symptoms with me, so it's reassuring that you feel these same symptoms.

I only have tried tylenol because I have a really weak stomach (get stomach aches easy, I have IBS etc) so I don't like taking any pain killers. They didn't seem to work anyway, and my doctor doesn't think they will really help me much with this.

So i'm hoping physical therapy will help. I have my appointment tomorrow and I will post if it helps or not (i'm praying it does). If it doesn't, I will go see my dentist, and the eye doctor, and back to my GP! This headache has got to stop, it's just so annoying!

Any other advice anyone has is greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening...

-Leeann

Last edited by leeditt; 06-03-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
    buffalonygal
    (female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

Leeanne.............I have the EXACT same symptoms......under ALOT of stress and my doctor says I have tension/anxiety headaches.....put me on Xanax which seemed to work for awhile but now for the past week I have had another nonstop 24/7 headache..not bad enough to disturb my sleep, just an annoying dull, sometimes throbbing ache, with alot of pressure in my temples and top of my head....it feels as tho my head is going to explode sometimes.....ive tried tylenol, advil, excedrin..all with NO relief.......going to my Dr. tomorrow to see what else i can do becuz its scary..altho he assures me (after a CT that was normal) that my headaches are most likely stress/tension related. I DO know that i dont grind my teeth at nite, BUT i do clench, sometimes i will wake up and find my mouth so tightly clenched that it aches when i release the clenching...was told this was a sign of stress.....i talked to my dentist but my insurance wont cover a guard and i dont have an extra $600 for a custom fit one. I am becoming desperate enough to try an over the counter mouth guard for when i sleep...i guess it couldnt hurt to try.........I can TOTALLY sympathize with you..this is AWFUL and it seems my husband cant understand why i "just dont take a tylenol"...lord knows ive tried and it doesnt help........keep me posted on if you find some relief and i will do the same!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
    leeditt
    (female)

leeditt HB User

Hello buffalonygal,

Thanks for the reply letting me know someone else is going through the same thing I am! I guess we are in the same boat because my doctor tells me these are tension/anxiety headaches too! I had an MRI a couple weeks ago and it came back completely normal. They saw something in my inner ear that may need some more looking at by an ENT, who i will see soon, but nothing alarming, and I think my doctor really doesn't think anything is wrong with that...

SOOOO, I've been going to physical therapy to try to release this tension. I also seem to have TMJ, which is probably caused by clenching, which I probably also do at night.
    I actually have started sleeping with a mouthguard (a cheap one you can buy anywhere) and it seems to have helped a little with my TMJ. My jaw area doesn't seem as sore as it used to, so if anything, the mouth guard is maybe helping a little. You should try it for a few weeks and just see what happens. BUT my headaches in the back/top of my head and around my temples and forehead are still there. It's mostly dull and achy, sometimes throbbing. No pain killers do anything to relieve it either.

Please do keep me updated on what you're doing to try to help yourself! I have another physical therapy appointment today. Its frustrating because all they say is relieve your stress... I don't FEEL stressed, so how can I relieve it? My life is pretty stressful in general, but you can't escape your life... it's just difficult because I want to feel healthy so I can deal with the things going on in my life, but because I feel sick all the time, it's hard for me to deal with it! It's like a never ending cycle.

Oh, and it's been like a month and a half now of this headache.

Write back soon please!
    -Leeann

Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
    buffalonygal
    (female)

buffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB Userbuffalonygal HB User

Hi!!! Isnt this awful??? I can totally relate to your pain..and it seems like no one else can, cuz they arent going thru it...i went to my dr yesterday, he said my headaches are tension/anxiety related...i have had a lot of recent stress in my life, my dad passed away, son lost his job, had to put my pup of 12 yrs to sleep...so things have been stressful..and thats when these nagging dull (once in a while throbbing)headaches started and havent let up.....it feels like my head is being sqeezed in a vice...and no OTC med helps at all..so he is trying me on a low dose of topomax...he said its mainly for migranes but also is used in tension headaches so we will see if it gives me any relief..i took my first dose yesterday and woke up with the same nagging headache today.....sooooo i will give it a few more days and see if there is any improvement. I think i will try a mouthguard..is there a particular brand u got that seems to work well? i dont wana buy some cheap one that doesnt work well..so let me know which one you got...its certainly worth a try cuz i know im a clencher!!!!!!!!! well i gota head out to work (working with a headache in a busy office is SO much fun ugh) but we will keep in touch thru this board..good luck to u!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
    buffalonygal
    (female)

forgot to add to my earlier reply that my Dr told me that tension headaches are some of the most stubborn and most medicine resistant headaches and not all tension headaches will respond to the same medication. sooo..if the topamax doesnt work for me in a week or so, we may have to try something else...its just so frustrating becuz i told him ijust want relief from this constant 24/7 headache...i also feel pressure in my nose/sinuses sometimes but i have no discharge and no evidence of any sinus infection...i m definitly gona go buy a mouth guard tonite cuz right now im at my computer at work and my teeth are aching.......this is such a pain..literally!!!!!!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
    cywilliams
    (female)

cywilliams HB User

I have had severe headaches tension and cluster for about 8 years now. I have them almost everyday the pain is so bad I want to stick my head in a vise. I cannot imagine having this for the rest of my life I have tried so many things like getting my wisedom teeth pulled out; which where impacted and now i have no feeling on my lower lip and chin, lol... I have been to a TMJ speiclist and she said I don't have but my jaw is extremly tense..I have been going to a nuaroligist for 8 years and have had trigger injections in my head, jaw, neck, shoulders amd botox in my head. This has made me more sick although my first trigger injection in my head worked at first and I thought OMG this is great!!!! That was in May 2002. I have been to a massage thearpist (not deep tissue) and I found this to work great, but then I moved and tried someone new and it was not the same I ended up in the hospital. To the people who are trying Topamax I tried a few years ago and it did not work for me and the worst part is it made me 10 times more tired.. I hope you can get relief from this medication. I am on so many different meds right now and nothing works for my tension and clusters. But it does somewhat relief for my fibro as much as it could. I hope someone has had some luck with something I may not have tried.

Last edited by cywilliams; 06-25-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added more info.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
    buffalonygal
    (female)

hi!!---sorry you are in the same boat with constant headaches,,this totally sux..it makes my everyday life horrible - i dont want to do things like cook, clean, eat, shop, go out with my friends, work, all i want to do is come home from work (which is such a chore in itself to get thru the day) and lay down on the couch)..its awful..i hate it..and when i cry, which i do alot, it makes the headache 10x worse.......my husband is getting so frustrated with me becuz he cant understand why a tylenol doesnt make it go away cuz it makes his go away..well im glad for him..i wish it were that easy for me! anyhow day 3 on the topomax and ive noticed NO improvment..i have NO appetite on it tho and dont want to continue on it if there is no improvement with the headaches...........gona call my dr today and see what he wants me to do. trying some neck relaxation exercises and actually they seem to help a little bit..my neck and shoulders are soooooo tight that when i roll them from side to side the cracking i hear is almost scary but i move slow and easy and try to losen it up.........im sure alot of my headaches ARE tension related but i see no way of getting rid of all the stress in my life so therefore, i guess i will have to contend with these "lovely" headaches 24/7...Lets keep each other posted on progress....god bless!

Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
    leeshy215
    (female)

leeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB Userleeshy215 HB User

CYWilliams directly, and everyone else on this posting.
    Hi there! Will you please read my post, I beleive it will help you. Please STOP doing all this other stuff I just read. It is making you worse. Massage is good! It helps reduce stress which will help reduce headaches. Do you know for sure if you have migraines or cluster headaches? They are 2 completely different disorders. I was once told I had cluster headaches. I DO NOT! They are very rare. Please read my post. Thank You!

Last edited by leeshy215; 06-26-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Closed Thread