It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Magnesium

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Animalia
(female)

Animalia HB User
Magnesium

I have read that magnesium is beneficial in treating Menstrual Migraines. Does anyone know how much I should take & do I take it daily or just when I get close to menstruating.

Currently I am on Sumartiptan & Mef enamic Acid along with Maxalon, it has varying affects.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Animalia; 06-11-2009 at 07:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Chele60
Veteran
(female)

Chele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB UserChele60 HB User
Re: Magnesium

I have found that magnesium appears to be helping my menstrual migraines, and there appears to be some research into this.

When taking magnesium, you need to keep in mind this mineral is often used in antiacids and laxitives. Too much magnesium is not a good thing! Also, there can be complications if your kidneys are not functioning properly. The human body will expel magnesium that it doesn't need through urine or feces, however if an individual is having problems with their kidneys, or kidney failure, there is a possibility of getting too much magnesium into the blood.

Also, there are different types of magnesium, and certain types are better tolerated than others. I would stay away from magnesium oxide - not very absorbable. One of the types most recommended is magnesium citrate - it's very absorbable and easily tolerated.

As far as how much to take? That really depends on the individual. I take 600 mgs, and it works for me. I know others who take 400 mgs, and that's good for them. I've heard the number 800 mgs, but I have to give anyone credit who can do that! I would never be out of the bathroom! I would suggest starting out with perhaps 100 or 200 mgs and see how your body responds. Build up gradually, or it might be a bit of shock.

Magnesium is not like asprin. It will need to build up in your system to bring about relief. I needed a month before I could say I felt the effects. I do know that when I get lazy and do not take the full amount, I do get nagging headaches at that time of the month. However, I've gotten to the point now where I increase my magnesium back up to 600 mg, and the headache eases. That's me - YMMV.

Do keep in mind that, even though something like 33% of people do not meet the minimum requirement for magnesium, you will still be adding something to your body. Monitor how you feel and changes that happen. If something is uncomfortable or "not quite right," stop the supplmentation or reduce the amount. It's also not a bad idea to let your doctor know.

Good luck!

Closed Thread