It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Topomax ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
JLu
(female)

JLu HB User
Topomax ?

So I have been suffering from migrains for years on and off and I finally have decided to use medication, I am going to start Topomax and was wondering if I could get some feed back on sideffects. I know about the weight loss but all the other ones sound pretty bad and was wondering how many of you actually suffer from the bad ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
AnxietyGirl74
(female)

AnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB UserAnxietyGirl74 HB User
Re: Topomax ?

Please keep in mind to begin with, this was my experience on Topomax. For my migraines, it worked great. I had much less than I used to. However, I had to go off of it. I lost a lot of weight, but my blood pressure (which typically runs low) ran even lower, I had what was called a "paralyzed stomach" (I don't know for sure that it was from the Topomax, but since being off the Topomax, it has corrected itself).
Most distressing, however, was the fact that it totally slowed me down as a person. I had trouble remembering anything, couldn't tell you how I got home sometimes, and was having trouble at work because things just didn't connect in my head. A doctor finally recognized that as me having bad side effects from Topomax and took me off of it.
I would still try it, if I were you. It worked great as far as preventing as many migraines. My body just couldn't tolerate it.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
brando76
(male)

brando76 HB User

Hey JLu,

I was placed on Topomax a couple of years ago mainly to treat depression and headaches. After two months on the medication I had to stop taking it because it made my depression a lot worse. I also experienced other issues while taking topomax but I forgot what they were.
Everyone reacts different to meds, so what might not work for one may work for you..

Old 09-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
guy in AU
(male)

guy in AU HB User

Propanolol (Inderal) is generaly considered the first preventative to try..... fewer side effects, and dirt cheap..... might be worth asking your doctor about it?

Closed Thread