It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

Chronic Headache 24/7

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
frustratedwon
(female)

frustratedwon HB User
Angry Chronic Headache 24/7

I am hoping I may find someone here that may be suffering from chronic headaches every day.
After being rear ended in a traffic accident I have had severe headaches for the last 7 years. I also have a lower back problem that has progressively gotten worse over the years with a burning sensation from the neck right down to my knees. I have been to every DR imaginable, tried every treatment out there, been to pain management clinics and received pain block injections and botox injections and have been on many different meds during the last 7 years and nothing seems to work. The Drs are now saying I have come to the end of the road and don't know what else there is for me to try. I have had to give up my job and am not able to do much activity at all which includes driving a car or just simply go for a short walk.
Is there anyone out there that has gone through this pain but has found something that helps to get through the day. I am currently on meds to help me sleep but have nothing during the day except to just deal with it on my own.
I am totally fed up and am trying not to give up on finding something that lessens the pain.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated by someone who has been there.
Thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
guy in AU
(male)

guy in AU HB User
Re: Chronic Headache 24/7

I was in the same boat, chronic headache every day for almost 15 years, CT scans and MRI's showed nothing, no OTC analgesics seemed to work, I had seen three neurologists (including the professor of neurology at the states medical school)

What finaly worked for me is a combination of 3 different medicines:

SR Tramadol - 300mg once a day (mild narcotic pain killer)

Meloxicam - 15mg once a day (antiinflamatory/pain killer)

Nortriptyline 75mg at night (tricyclic antidepressant)

I came on this cambination through my own research, and trial and error - none of the neurologists would even consider pain killing drugs, but my GP was sympathetic.

I would speak to your GP, and tell him your life is literaly comming apart at the seams because of the continual pain.

It would be reasonable to start with the Meloxicam and the Nortriptyline, and see how you go for a couple of weeks.

If you get some releif, but not enough, ask about adding the SR Tramadol as well.

While on this regimen, you can still take Tylenol or Excedrin Tension Headache for breakthrough pain.

The nortriptyline can make you a bit drowsy for the first few days, so it is uaualy good to start with 25mg at night for 3 days, then 50mg at night at night for 3 days, then 75mg at night. After you have reached 75mg at night, you can get the 75mg pills, rather than having to take 3 of the 25mg ones.

Best of luck, and dont give up!

Jonathan

Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
guy in AU
(male)

guy in AU HB User

If the above doesnt work, it might be worth considering serious pain management, using potent analgesics such as Oxycontin or Fentanyl patches - a pain clinic would be your best bet for this.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
frustratedwon
(female)

frustratedwon HB User

Oh my gosh Jonathan, thanks so much for the info. I will be speaking to my GP today and hopefully these drugs are available in Canada for me to try. What do I have to lose at this point. I will let you know how they work.
Thanks again for all the information, I am certainly grateful!!

Closed Thread