HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Headaches & Migraines (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/headaches-migraines/)
-   -   UNBELIEVABLE EARLY MORNING HEADACHE due to cold (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/headaches-migraines/732249-unbelievable-early-morning-headache-due-cold.html)

CCCCubed 01-22-2010 01:28 AM

UNBELIEVABLE EARLY MORNING HEADACHE due to cold

Hi recently probably in the past two years or so I have developed the most incredible, painful headaches that I have ever experienced in my entire life. I am almost positive it is due to getting too cold during the night which usually dries out or gets my sinuses too cold kinda like freeze brain when you drink a cold drink way too fast. I have since disconitued pointing any fan at my face; I used to always sleep with a fan blowing on my face. Once I stopped the fan last October I have not had such headache until January2010 when again I got too cold - I also notice that the headaches happen whenever I sleep in or sleep too long.

I currently take Nasonex and use Afrin quite often. In fact, I have been using Afrin for probably 5 years straight off and on a daily basis. I am wondering if Afrin or Nasonex has something to do with it. It is probably a migraine. It gets far worse if I sit down or even move my head. The headache I had in October 2009 frightened me so bad I thought I was going to die and I almost went to the ER - probably should have. I used to take Ibuprofen for it but Ibuprofen makes me a little sick to my stomach so I now take Excedrin Extra Strength which absolutely works and is a life saver; still even if I catch the headache early it is terribly debilitating and takes me about 4 or 5 hours just to get well enough to function thereby missing a day of work.

My question is has anyone experienced such things? I told my doctor all of the above and he kinda just blew me off and told me as long as the Excedrin works just take it. I want to prevent these from happening if possible. I am wondering if it is a side effect of long term Nasonex or Afrin use or just from sleeping in and getting my sinus too cold and dry? I have stopped using all such fans and that helps a lot but did not quite totally eliminate the problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

New Member,
Chris

PS - Good Health and Blessings to All
:)

jehe828 02-03-2010 09:57 AM

Re: UNBELIEVABLE EARLY MORNING HEADACHE due to cold

I have actually woken up with severe headaches...like the whole side of my head will hurt tremendously, and I'll have one "knot" of bad pain over my eye. I run a fan every night, as well. I don't point it directly at me, but I keep it pointed to the side. I feel that these are sinus headaches, that turn to migraines. I think the air gets way too dry. THese always are much worse for me during January and February when its really cold outside. I have thought lots of times about getting a humidifier, because I feel that it is due to the cold/ and also dry air. Does this maybe sound similar to you?

wakkochic17 02-03-2010 02:18 PM

Re: UNBELIEVABLE EARLY MORNING HEADACHE due to cold

it's probably a combination of the meds and dry air. Afrin is NOT for long term use (although Nasonex is ok). Try to kick that ASAP if you can! I second the recommendation for a humidifier though. I can't get through the winter without it.