It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• constant headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #91
    stopheadpain
    (female)

stopheadpain HB User
    Re: constant headache

Hi, I'm new here. I am sorry to hear that you NEVER have relief from it! I can't imagine! I have had headaches for years that probably turned into daily chronic tension headaches for the last couple years. It all happened gradually. I have a headache most of the time - sometimes mild, like when the meds kick in or after a massage, most of the time medium, like a 6 or so, sometimes bad where I have to lay down and try to go to sleep (but not a migraine). I know that I have a buldging disk in my neck that is probably the cause, but there's not really a cure.

My other problem (perhaps bigger problem?) is that I am suffering from rebound headaches which is caused from medication overuse. Almost all abortive meds cause it. My med of choice is Butalbital. It works great, but now I'm taking it everyday and need more and more of it. I'm now taking 2 a day, but I need more and don't want to take more, so I suffer for the rest of the day. Now the doc says that this is causing me to have a headache everyday, and I will need to take more and more of it as time goes on, and at some point soon will have to get off of it to resolve the problem. The problem with stopping the meds is that the body craves the med and the headache gets a lot worse until the med is out of your system. Problem is I still need to function at work.

I am on Amitriptyline as a headache preventative, which only works a little and causes weight gain (hate that). I could deal with that if it worked better, but it's not worth it. She is switching me to Topamax (I know you've tried it), if that doesn't work, then trigger point injections, if that doesn't work, then botox injections. Are trigger point injections different from nerve blocks?

It drives me crazy to almost ALWAYS have a headache with very little relief, and it keeps getting worse! I know, it's hard to do the things you have to do and enjoy life. So far, I have really good friends who are supporting me, but they don't really know what it's like. I find that most people know what it's like to have a headache and I just nicely tell them to imagine that they have that constantly.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many meds you're taking to stop the headaches and if you're possibly getting rebound headaches? That cycle can go on forever until you can stop all the meds. A good doctor can help with that though, if that's even part of the problem.

This is a great board. I even did a search to see if there were any headache support groups in my area and found nothing, so this is all I've got.

Best wishes

Last edited by stopheadpain; 08-22-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #92
    RANDOL
    (male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Hey there, has the Neurolgist sent you for a MRI or Catscan? If not please consider doing so! I had headaces like that for almost a year or more and go to find out i had a non-cancerious tumor growing on an artery in my brain which i had removed with a un-succesfull surgry but got it removed with Radiation treatments but still have the headaces but not very often as i was. Not to scare you or anything but its worth checking into it dont you think? I hope this helps hun, Best of luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #93
    headpain19
    (female)

headpain19 HB User

hello everyone!

welcome to this thread, stopheadpain!

im sorry to hear about your head problems. i dont know if trigger point injections are the same as nerve blocks. i dont see how i could have rebound headaches even though im constantly taking medicine. i dont know how i would tell either since i always have a headache. its not a go away and come back kinda thing. its a wake up in the morning, do everything with it, and then go back to bed with it. im sorry that you couldnt find a support group in the area, but you are more than welcome on here. feel free to update us or just talk your stress out on here. i know starting this thread has helped me a lot and its wonderful how many suggestions and idea the people on here have to offer. i dont really have anybody who can understand this headache and i have no support from friends. thankfully my parents are wonderful and my boyfriend of almost a year is finally starting to understand the pain i go through every day.

update: i feel like things have gotten rougher recently. i just started school monday and i already feel the stress piling on. nights have also been pretty bad for me. whether its the headache, or just something else i am having trouble sleeping. we have made an appointment for a headache institute in philidelphia. i have to wait until november and i dont know if its going to be a success or a bust. it will be a 4-6 hour appointment. thats all i really know. right now i am only taking valtrax for coldsores, yaz (which im switching off in about 2 weeks) and melatonin to sleep. recently, the headache has stayed at a good 6 1/2-7. i try to avoid oxycodone as much as i can, but if it gets bad to the point where i cant fight it then i need to take it. im just really tired of having the headache. i have been more depressed, but trying to not show it. nothing more to really update. just that im stressed and depressed a lot lately.

how is everyone else doing? still chugging along and living life to the fullest? any updates to report?--------------headpain19.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #94
    CatLover74
    (female)

CatLover74 HB User

Since I started taking the Lexapro about 7 weeks ago (as well as exercising for at least half an hour every single day in that time), my headaches seem to have improved slightly. It's not all day every day any more; although having said that, I do still get one more days in the week than not. It used to be that over the counter pain killers did virtually nothing for my sore head; but I've noticed that on the Lexapro, pain killers are more effective. That's my update for now.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #95
    RANDOL
    (male)

Hey girl Im glad your still staying strong and hope that the sleep study will find some asnwers for you! On my side of things,i still only sleep about 6hrs tossing and turning as usual lol and my headaces are around every other day of so but managable so far but keep us updated on whats up hun. Best of days and keep charging ahead.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #96
    headpain19
    (female)

headpain19 HB User

ive tried lexapro before, but it didnt work for me. im glad you are having some success on it though.

RANDOL, are you taking any kind of sleeping medication or have you tried any? i had trouble sleeping too, but i take melatonin now and its helped a lot.

update: today was horrible! on a scale of 1-10, i was at a full-blown 10 from about 12-4:15ish. Meanwhile, im in school until 2:15 which was super stressful. it came to the point after school when my boyfriend and i were walking in the hallway and i just broke down into tears. it hurt so bad. he was wonderful about it. he stopped and hugged me tight and just let me cry. hes finally understanding that im in pain all the time and even though he has no idea what i go through, he still cares and just lets me do what i need to do. i had to come home and take an oxycodone and with his help i pushed through my homework. thank god for people like him. and everyone on here that i can just talk to and get ideas from. thank you so much everyone.

p.s.-tomorrow, my boyfriend and i will have been together for one year!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #97
    RANDOL
    (male)

Hey hope all is better today with your pain scale hun! Ive never really taken anything for my sleeping problems except Ibuprofin or a straight shot of hard liqure every-so-often lol but ive somewhat adjusted to how my sleep habbits have been. I know that sounds kind of like ive given up on knowing why i toss and turn every night but at least i do get enough sleep to get me thru the day lol. I seriously think you should push the issue to have a Nureoligst check you out and get to the bottom of your headace problem hun,why suffer any longer,you know what i mean? Well get at me any time and keep me updated sweeti, take care

Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #98
    Toonces1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Headpain - I just wanted to say HI. I don't have any wonderful advice to offer you, but keep trying to find the answer. I have chronic severe pain in my neck and shoulder/arm and I know what it's like to have pain all day every day. Sometimes it stops me in my tracks. It took a long time for my husband to fully comprehend what had happened to me. After about a month after my pain issues started, I had to sit him down and told him that this was very serious, and he needed to understand that my life had changed and I needed him to adjust to that. After I told him that he changed his attitude completely. sometimes I can tell he's bothered because there is nothing he can do for my pain. He just has to sit there and know that I am suffering terribly and he can't do anything about it. I'm relatively young too and would have never expected something like this to happen to me. I've been in pain for about 36 months now. I sortof know what's wrong with me but I still haven't found out the major cause. I'm still enduring tests and scans and nerve blocks and injections, etc, etc, etc. You know the drill.

Eventually I just started doing normal things because if I stayed at home and did nothing, my mind was 100% in my pain. If I went to the grocery store, at least then about 30% of my mind was at the grocery store and not in my pain. My mind will never be 100% at the grocery store anymore, but diverting 30% of my mind to something else is better than nothing.

Closed Thread