It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Topamax and weight loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #1
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User
    Topamax and weight loss

My doctor recently put me on Topamax for migraines. I was on this in the past with another doctor and it worked great. I have recently lost a lot of weight due to recent hospitalizations and my new doc is really concerned that I will lose too much weight on this med.
    Has anyone been on Topamax and not lost weight. I am so worried that my doctor is not going to let me stay on this drug and it is the only thing that has worked for me in the past.
    My appetite is already not great because of other health issues and medicines I am taking but I have been trying to increase my calorie intake. I cannot afford to lose anymore weight but I cannot take these terrible migraines either!!

Any advice/help would be appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
    Aprileanne
    (female)

Aprileanne HB User
    Re: Topamax and weight loss

Hi, I have been on Topamax as well as a host of other meds for different health issues in all I take 56 pills a day, and have chemo infusion every 8 weeks. My findings so far are that I have not lost ANY weight on topamax or as I like to call it DOPAMAX.... I have a brain fog all the time. I would stop taking it , but I am allergic to all other AED's except topamax and Neurontin, both of which I have been on for 16 yrs. after undergoing brain surgery to remove a brain tumor...I too have excruciating migraines and was just rushed to Yale on Sunday evening due to one. I had severe vision changes and nothing I normally do worked over a 3 hr. time frame it was awful... i thought I would die from the pain. At the ER iwas put on morphine drip and giving an IV injection of Reglan. This worked so effectively I asked for a reglan Rx, at the pharmeucy today I was told that they have never seen reglan used for headaches before except for pts. w/ Cancer... I do not have Cancer . However I am on chemo infusion for Lupus?? So not sure of the correlation, but hey it worked so I don't really care...

Old 07-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User

Aprileanne,
    I also was taking chemo, cytoxan, for an autoimmune blood disorder but had to go off because my bone marrow was being depressed too much. I am now on Imuran, but it is also suppressing my immune system so much that I was in the hospital on and off for 5 weeks this spring, septic, with various infections. That is why I have lost so much weight.
    I am only up to 75 mg of topamax and already my appetite is gone but for the 1st time this week I did not have a migraine, so it is starting to work. However, my doctor said this week that he is not going to play this game with the weight-that it is more important for me to be at a healthy weight and that there are other migraine meds, so if I can't keep the weight on I can't stay on the medicine :/
    So....I am trying to shovel in as many calories as I can stomach right now. We shall see.......

Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
    Aprileanne
    (female)

Aprileanne HB User

have you ever expierienced any kidney stone symptoms due to Topamax??/ I was unaware of this side effect until recently my husband suffered a spinal cord injury at work and after having to have emergency surgery to evacuate a blood clot from his spine suffered a dural tear and now has killer migraines.... only he has a long hx of kidney stones, so the neurologist won't give him Topamax even if its the best choice for maintenence...UGhhhh why can't things just be easy..........???

Old 07-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User

I have only been on Topamax for 3 1/2 weeks but I do kinow that kidney stones are a concern. I have had 2 in the past and I am sure that if my doc had remembered that he would have had even more reservations. I conveniently forgot to remind hin When I was on Topamax years ago, I cannot remember if that was when I had my kidney stones-I was not aware at the time that that was a risk and I had a different doctor at that time.
    I know there are some severe side effects with Topamax, but it did work really well for me before-I only went off because I was having zero headaches so I wanted to try to go medicine free. It worked for about 5 years but then the headaches returned, so I wanted to try it again.
    Good luck to you and your husband!!

Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I have been on topamax for about 9 months now, and I was really hoping that the nice little side affect of losing weight would be there for me. It wasn't, it did not make me lose weight, but it really did stop the migraines, thank the heavens, so I will put up with the weight as long as I have no more migraines, and, I have no side affects at all from topamax. I am also on Lyrica for Fibromyalgia, thus, the weight gain.

Sunny

Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

1sunny1
    What does of topomax are you on?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
    1sunny1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I am on 50mg twice a day.

Sunny

Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #9
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User

I noticed the change in my appetite at 50 mg, so I guess it just depends on the individual. At 75 mgs. I am really having the tingling hands and feet but have not had a headache this week, so I can handle the tingling. So far I have not had any memory problems.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

I started taking it about 10 days ago - 25mg. started 50 mg yesterday - so far so good.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User

Maggietaz,
    You are about a week behind me. Hve you not had any side effects?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Not that I can feel yet, - I wouldn't mind the weight loss! I think the headaches are getting better, mine come from my neck as well as migraines.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The neuro doc. said to try food with potassium in it for the tingling and that the side effects should lessen with time.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
    coping1
    (female)

coping1 HB User

"I think the headaches are getting better, mine come from my neck as well as migraines."
    I get headaches from my neck too-disc issues-I do physical therapy for that, but those headaches are different from my migraines.

"The neuro doc. said to try food with potassium in it for the tingling and that the side effects should lessen with time."
    I have been eating foods high in potassium, but I still get the tingling, but as I said in an earlier post, I can handle that if it gets rid of my headaches.

"I wouldn't mind the weight loss!"
    I lost my appetite pretty early on, that is what my doctor has an issue with :/

Last edited by coping1; 07-25-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

This might sound like a silly question - but what does the tingling feel like, do you have it all the time- in all your fingers? Also- do you just not have an appetite or are you just not eating as much and did you say this happened for you at 50mg- was it right away? Do you take any other medications? Also, the doctor said to drink plenty of water with this medication. Thanks for the info.

Closed Thread