It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Intense headache when hot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
    Duck Dodgers
    (female)

Duck Dodgers HB UserDuck Dodgers HB User
    Intense headache when hot

Hi,
    I am getting frustrated with not being able to work in this warm weather.

If I am in an unaircondisioned building or outside for just a few minutes in the heat I get a bad headache. A few more minutes and I feel like my head is going to implode- like its being crushed and I feel light headed and sometimes slightly sick. Even if I go to a cooler building it can take hours for it to go away. Sometimes it gets so bad I can't think or see.

I live on a farm and this happens everytime I try to do something outside.

Any help?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Re: Intense headache when hot

I am sorry to hear about this! I'm also sensitive to the heat, but it takes more than a few minutes for me! I assume you already thought of making sure you are well hydrated. I drink LOTS of water and limit my sodium intake, so I know it's possible for the heat to do this to you without being dehydrated.

I wanted to be able to enjoy going to the beach or pool without feeling terrible. I realized that part of it is that I'm sensitive to the sun. I MUST wear sunglasses or I'll definitely get a headache/migraine. Once it's a migraine, I feel bad the entire day usually and then the nausea follows. I also learned that I have to cover my face and not let the sun be shining on my face. I also have to take regularly breaks to cool myself down, whether it be going indoors or getting into some water. It really seemed like it was my HEAD that was sensitive to the heat and not my full body. I completely understand the feeling you get because that sounds very similar to me.

Have you tried using something like a portable misting fan? I wonder if there are any quick tricks that might help in the meantime. I wish I knew a good long-term thing that could help, but I honestly still am working on this myself. I used to go for walks/jogs and could only go at night in the spring/fall/winter and never in the summer. Now I just go to a gym in the air condition. I live in Texas, so pretty much everywhere has air condition. I park my car in my garage at home and pay for garage parking at work so my car stays in the shade and isn't super hot when I'm leaving. Since you live on a farm, I really hope there is something that can help you out since I'm sure you have to be outdoors often. Have you tried a hat or a visor? I can't think of any kind of medication to help, because it usually isn't very effective for me once it happens. Something preventive might be more help, but I haven't become aware of anything for this specific use. Taking something like ibuprofen before-hand and sipping water the entire time you are outside might help, but then again, it isn't good to take it every day.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
    nightingale00
    (female)

nightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB Usernightingale00 HB User

get your blood pressure checked, sounds like its high and abt to explode..

Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nightingale00 View Post
    get your blood pressure checked, sounds like its high and abt to explode..
    I notice that my heart races when I'm in the heat, even before I start to feel bad. Is it possible for someone to get high blood pressure ONLY when in the heat? I have had my blood pressure taken many times recently and it's always fine, but I wonder if the heat can make it temporarily high. Do you have any ideas of how to keep it controlled if that's the case?

Closed Thread