It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Headaches, Ear Fullness, What is this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
    vhayduk
    (female)

vhayduk HB User
    Headaches, Ear Fullness, What is this?

Hi,
    I have experienced frequent headaches for as long as I can remember but ever since I went off to college last year they have been absolutely unbearable. In this past year, they have been mainly on the right side of my head, and have been accompanied by a feeling of fullness in my right ear. It almost feels as if i were to stick a pin in my ear, fluid would explode, but I'm not sure what is actually causing the fullness feeling. Occasionally, I experience pain on the right side of my face. I can never sleep anymore, due to the combination of the pain itself and the anxiety that results from not knowing what is wrong with me. I should also mention that I crack my back and neck A LOT. A horrible habit, but I do it all the time. It feels as if I will get relief when I do this, which is why I do it so often, but really, it doesn't give any relief. My head and neck click all the time as well, even when I'm not trying to crack them. I am mostly worried about life-threatening causes at this point. Obviously I'd like these symptoms to stop as well, but for now I just want to know what is wrong with me. Does anyone have a clue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
    tingles
    Veteran
    (male)

tingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB Usertingles HB User
    Re: Headaches, Ear Fullness, What is this?

I would try ice behind the head to see if this helps the headaches at all. And stop snapping your neck and back! If you are concerned about it check with the school and see if they have a neurologist they can refer to you.

Before you go to the neurologist ******** a headache journal from the internet and start tracking your headaches. This can help you and a neurologist determine what may be causing your headaches (triggers) and give the neurologist an idea about the severity of your headaches. And see about getting something for your anxiety, it can kill you all by itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to tingles For This Useful Post:
    vhayduk (07-01-2011)
    Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
    Re: Headaches, Ear Fullness, What is this?

If your neck is clicking, this sounds like you have some joint issues going on, which can certainly cause a lot of problems. I get migraines and cerivogenic headaches (you might want to look them up - they feel very similar to a migraine but involve the neck as well), and the cervicogenic headaches started after I noticed my neck clicking all the time (including when I was sitting still and not moving at all). Cervicogenic headaches require treatment such as physical therapy to correct the underlying problem and often do NOT respond as well to medication (which is why some people take migraine meds and still don't find relief). I've been going to a headache institute and see a regular physician and a physical therapist. I do have migraine prescriptions, but I also take muscle relaxers and do neck exercises. Overall I am seeing a big improvement, but still have much time to feel completely back to my usual self. Cervicogenic headaches often have other symptoms beside the headache, such as ear fullness/ringing (which unfortunately can take 6 months or so to go away with treatment), jaw soreness, sinus pain/pressure, and vertigo, as well as stiffness/pain in the neck or back. Basically, the trigenimal and/or vagus nerve get irritated and these other symptoms happen.

A neurologist will not be the type of doctor to see for these kinds of headaches, but it is a great start to rule out anything life threatening and perhaps if you want to try medication. It's a good place to start. I just wanted to share about the cervicogenic headaches because I hear so many people who have taken just about every kind of medication and still struggle, so it's possible that a DIFFERENT kind of treatment is needed. Luckily they are not life threatening, but they can really interfere with one's life and pain can be debilitating. I wish it were an easy fix, but I think most of the time it takes a little while and some trial and error is involved.

I hope you are able to get this under control soon! Best of luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to tUrRrRa For This Useful Post:
    vhayduk (07-01-2011)
    Closed Thread