It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• 3 weeks with worst headache of my life! Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
    juliem57
    (female)

juliem57 HB User
    Question 3 weeks with worst headache of my life! Help!

I have had a horrible "migraine" for about 3 weeks now. I go to sleep with it and I wake up with it. I have never had a migraine in my life before these last 3 weeks. I have tried many medications known to work for migraines with no relief. My neurologist has given me and MRI which showed nothing significant and also an EEG that came back normal. I've gotten to the point where I can't perform my normal activities day to day and I ended up going to the ER. They gave me dilaudid to relieve my pain which is the only thing that worked so far. The only problem is that once the dose wore off, the headache was back just as bad as before. Does anyone have any suggestions of what medications usually really work or if they have experienced anything like this? I can't believe the worst headache of my life could last for 3 weeks straight and there is no way of stopping it. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
    maggietaz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User
    Re: 3 weeks with worst headache of my life! Help!

Go back to the neurologist and ask about beta blockers or topamax. You will still need some pain medications as it takes time for these to take effect.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
    juliem57 (07-07-2014)
    Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
    kalouise
    (female)

kalouise HB User
    Re: 3 weeks with worst headache of my life! Help!

I feel your pain! I too have been struggling with a month long headache...Day in and day out! Its awful. To top it off I got a bout of vertigo this week that has left me feeling really tired, out of it and off balance. I find that if my neck muscles are tight, it really exacerbates the headache so make sure you are sleeping without too many pillows under your head and try to sleep on your back, not on your side bc that can give you a major neck kink and make things worse. I am just praying mine will go away. I have no history of headaches until last February when I had a 3 week headache and now this month, which seems much worse than last time. My neuro won't do another mri bc I had one in February which to me seems absurd to me! 4 weeks is too long!
    I'm sure you have tried everything just like me, many different meds, ice, heat, salt baths, stretching. Nothing works! Its frustrating. And when you end up crying because of it, it only makes it worse! Ugh I feel your pain!
    My doc seems to think I have what they call New Persistent Daily Headache, which can pop up after a viral illness. I had strep and bronchitis before this all began. I don't wish this on anyone but am glad to know there are others out there and I am not alone. Have you had any luck getting rid of the headache since your post?

Closed Thread

Tags
    headache, medication, migraine