It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• Does this sound like Temporal Arteritis?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
    lilcee
    (female)

lilcee HB User
    Does this sound like Temporal Arteritis?

I've been having sharp stabbing pains in the top of my head and in my forehead. It feels like someone hammered a dagger into my head. My ears are ringing really loud (especially my left one). I also get neck and shoulder tightness and my legs feel like they are full of lead. My eyes aren't really blurry but sometimes I do feel spacey. When I comb my hair or touch the top of my head, the pain gets worse and then it starts to itch and feel crawly. I've been reading about Temporal Arteritis but I'm not sure if this sounds like that. I can't take prednizone so I'm scared if this is what it is I don't know how it would be treated.
    And, I'm really tired all the time, like I can't keep my eyes open. I have fibromyalgia so I don't know if this is related.

I had a ct scan of my head but I don't have the results yet.

Can someone tell me if they have this and what it could be? I'm worried it's something serious like Temporal Arteritis. Thank you.

Last edited by lilcee; 07-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
    DoOoOoM
    Veteran
    (male)

DoOoOoM HB User
    Re: Does this sound like Temporal Arteritis?

Temporal arteritis isn't serious if treated early. It's actually quite easy to control. Immune suppressants will be used as an alternative to glucocoritcosteroids. But that's if you have the vascular disease. Since the tenderness is at the top of the head and forehead I don't know if it is the disease. Usually the soreness is over the temples or sides of the head. I'd check it out with a family doctor who will order many blood tests and also give you a physical examination about the head and temples. But so ASAP

Old 12-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
    dancing feet
    (female)

dancing feet HB User
    Re: Does this sound like Temporal Arteritis?

It's possible you can have Polymyalgia Rheumatica/Temporal Arteritis. I have had symptoms of both so Rheumatologist is treating me for Polymyalgia since I did not have, at the onset of the disease, all the symptoms for Temporal Arteritis. I, too, cannot take Prednisone and so I was put on Medrol (a similar but more potent steroid). After taking 16 mg of Medrol 2 days, all my symptoms disappeared (aching legs, jaw pain, drenching night sweats, fatigue, lethargic, etc.) I have been on Medrol since the beginning of July and the doctor is trying to slowly wean me off. With my last reduction, (down to 6/4 mg -alternating), symptoms starting up again. Doctor has now increased me up to 26 mg, 32 mg, and then 24 mg. He is concerned it may be Temporal Arteritis and if not treated promptly and properly can cause blindness. a biopsy of the temporal artery may be the next step. Will be speaking to my Rheumatologist on Monday as to where we go from here. Ask your doctor about prescribing Medrol and see if you have a positive reaction.

Reply Reply