It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Headaches & Migraines Message Board

• living with constant headache for past 3 years

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
    Jenheadaches
    (female)

Jenheadaches HB User
    living with constant headache for past 3 years

Hi there I'm an 18 year old girl and I've had extremely painful headaches for the past 3 years. August 3 years ago was when I first experienced these intense headaches once the first one lasted for two weeks I decided to visit my GP. He suggested I got blood tests and an MRI done and the blood test results came back clear and the MRI showed I have a cyst in my penialgland.
    I took allergy tests and tried so many different medications because I had been constantly diagnosed with "migraine". in my opinion I do not have migraine at all as I experience no migraine symptoms at all. I've tried acupuncture, chiropractors, crainiosacral therapy, reflexology and orthodontic treatment and nothing seems to work. My headaches are constant they get worse from time to time to a point where they're unbearable and I cannot go on with my every day life. I'm so sick and tired of these headaches I would love some answers or someone to help guide me down the right road to recovery. I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me.
    Thanking you,
    Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
    anxiety mom
    (female)

anxiety mom HB User
    Re: living with constant headache for past 3 years

Hi there........I have also suffered with headaches for a long time. I am much older than you (52).....but mine I believe are due to stress/tension. I was diagnosed with TMJ a few years back.....I clench my teeth constantly and that in turn messed with my neck.....shoulder....upper arms......and head. It's awful to have pain in these areas everyday. I had neck x-rays done about a month ago....those were fine, so my next doc will be a neurologist. Have you been to a neurologist? maybe you should. Also, what did your GP say about the cyst they found? Do you have jaw, neck pain? or just the headaches? I feel for you because I know how that pain everyday can affect your lifestyle. HUGS!!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
    rainspeak
    (female)

rainspeak HB User

Since you are so young, and they are constant, you should be under the care of a neurologist, a really good one, and they should rule out an AVM, by doing a cerebral angiogram. They need to look at the blood vessels in your head. Also, when you say you have no migraine symptoms, common migraine withuot aura is pain on one side of the head. It can last for many many days. Since yours has lasted for years, I would say if you've been to an excellent neurologist who specializes in headache, go to a headache clinic at a large medical center. This is nothing to trifle with.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
    dragonfly38
    (female)

dragonfly38 HB User

Hi, my boyfriend is 44 years old and has non-stop severe headaches every day for the past 8 months. He wakes up and goes to bed with them. He said his head is pounding so hard that it feels like the bed is shaking when he lays down. He started off going to our family doctor. Had an MRI done and blood work. All was normal. They thought it was his blood pressure and after a couple months of getting medications adjusted and his blood pressure has been really good. Still has the headaches so it's not blood pressure. He started going to a Neurologist in July. He had a MRA done to check the vascular system. That was normal. So the Neurologist is treating him for chronic migraines. Dr. put him on Topamax and he is having bad side effects. He's been on it a month so far and no difference in the headaches but he is having bad issues working in the job he does from the Topamax side effects. So he put in a call to the dr yesterday and waiting for call back. In the mean time he decided to go the ENT dr to see if maybe his sinuses were messed up again. Had a catscan of his sinuses and they are clear. Went to eye dr and even got glasses even though is eyes are not bad. That didn't help. We are at our wits ends! He works midnights now and has a horrible time trying to sleep because his head pounds so much and hurts. We are trying everything we can. I've even told him to go to my pain dr. I have an excellent pain dr that helps me with my bad bad and he also specializes in severe headaches. If they are in fact migraines, maybe the botox treatment would help? Has anyone tried those? We are trying everything we can think of right now. I'm even wondering if it could be something to do with the discs in his neck or intracranial hypertension? I feel so bad for him. We went to CAlifornia on vacation last month and half the time he was laying in bed in the hotel room!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
    rainspeak
    (female)

rainspeak HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dragonfly38 View Post
    Hi, my boyfriend is 44 years old and has non-stop severe headaches every day for the past 8 months. He wakes up and goes to bed with them. He said his head is pounding so hard that it feels like the bed is shaking when he lays down. He started off going to our family doctor. Had an MRI done and blood work. All was normal. They thought it was his blood pressure and after a couple months of getting medications adjusted and his blood pressure has been really good. Still has the headaches so it's not blood pressure. He started going to a Neurologist in July. He had a MRA done to check the vascular system. That was normal. So the Neurologist is treating him for chronic migraines. Dr. put him on Topamax and he is having bad side effects. He's been on it a month so far and no difference in the headaches but he is having bad issues working in the job he does from the Topamax side effects. So he put in a call to the dr yesterday and waiting for call back. In the mean time he decided to go the ENT dr to see if maybe his sinuses were messed up again. Had a catscan of his sinuses and they are clear. Went to eye dr and even got glasses even though is eyes are not bad. That didn't help. We are at our wits ends! He works midnights now and has a horrible time trying to sleep because his head pounds so much and hurts. We are trying everything we can. I've even told him to go to my pain dr. I have an excellent pain dr that helps me with my bad bad and he also specializes in severe headaches. If they are in fact migraines, maybe the botox treatment would help? Has anyone tried those? We are trying everything we can think of right now. I'm even wondering if it could be something to do with the discs in his neck or intracranial hypertension? I feel so bad for him. We went to CAlifornia on vacation last month and half the time he was laying in bed in the hotel room!
    Do the triptan (imitrex, replax, maxalt, Zomig, Frova, Amerge etc) class of medicines help him at all? There is a saying in medicine now...."anyone who shows up in your office with a constant complaint of unrelenting headache has migraine." Plain and simple.. If it were something different like a brain turmor he'd be having seizures or dead by now. This sounds like common migraine, or as it is also called, migraine without aura. You mention all the preventative meds, like Topamax and Botox, but does he use an abortive med (a triptan) to take the pain away when it comes, or do they not work for him? No one should be in agony like this. He needs a good neurologist to sort this out. Preferably one who specializes in head pain.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #6
    dragonfly38
    (female)

dragonfly38 HB User

Hi, they have not put him on any triptan meds yet. I have no idea why! He is off the Topamax. Was on it for 4 weeks and it was not doing anything except giving him bad side effects and it was really starting to interfere with his work. It was making him really confused and forgetful. What would normally take him a half hour to do at work, was taking him 4 hours! He will be going back to the neurologist soon. So far the only meds he has been given by our family doctor is Tylenol 3 with codeine and he said that don't do much but it's better then nothing. He needs to be on something for the pain right now. I'm not sure about this neurologist and he is really getting tired of the "try this for 2 months and see if it works and if not come back" answer. Years ago he used to get really bad headaches and went through a bunch of tests and all was normal. He went to a new dr who right away said tension headaches. He was only getting these on the left side of his head. He went for physical therapy and they went away. Gone for a long time. Now they are back but he don't think they are tension headaches because he said it feels different and it's both side of his head. I believe there is a headache clinic at University of Michigan and I'm going to look in to that if he don't get answers soon. He should not have to be in so much pain every day. I also know my pain dr is awesome and he specializes in backs and headaches.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
    putter01
    (male)

putter01 HB User

My 16year old son began having migraines at age 13. Never confirmed what was causing them and still trying to figure them out. He also has a level 5 out of 10 constantly (24/7, this one he has had for 1-1/2 years straight). We did indeed try everthing one could imagine. All meds and Doctors one could think of. Including all holistic. We indeed did try the "Michigan Headache Nuerological Institute" in Ann Arbor Michigan. This was an in-patient treatment where concentrations of meds were eliminated by trial. Also therapy and nutrician were instituted. My son had success w/Baclofan and Depacote along w/Occipital nerve block. We had him home and pain free for 12-days back in June of 2013, but once the pain came back we tried the Ocipital Blocks again along w/continued meds he was taking, but no luck. Never give up, we never will.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
    Nicolette858
    (female)

Nicolette858 HB User
    Unhappy Re: living with constant headache for past 3 years

I also have suffered from daily headaches since I was 19. I am 25 now. Just like you I ALWAYS knew they weren't migraines even though that's what all these doctors told me. I have seen about 30 different doctors including Diamond Headache Clinic, chiropractors, naturopath..you name it. I have been put on every medication under the sun.
    They got so bad last year I went to the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. They are the best. They found that I had a spinal fluid leak that everybody else missed. Although my case was rare because my brain mri was normal. Usually with a leak the brain MRIs are abnormal. I asked the neurosurgeon to look at a cd of an MRI I took in 2009 and sure enough he said "yep, you had it here too and it was missed." Eventually I had to get spinal surgery to fix my tear in the membrane. It is a long shot that you have the same thing but any things possible. Do your headaches get worse when you bend over, cough, or laugh? What makes them worse? If anyone is suffering with headaches my best advice I can give is skip the local doctors. There are so many things that can contribute to a headache. You need experts. Mayo Clinic in Minnesotta has The biggest neurology department out of all the Mayo clinics. Please post an update I am interested in your symptoms!! Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #9
    Migranesbegone
    (male)

Migranesbegone HB User

Hi there. My name is Bill and I once suffered from severe migraines and tension headaches. I have helped others become migraine/headache free. I would be open to sharing my experience and introduce you to people who have found relief from such pain. Feel free to call or text.

Bill
    636-373-0340

Reply Reply

Tags
    cyst, headaches, migraine, neurology, pain