It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• Help - Hospice says we must pay

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
    Jovick
    (male)

Jovick HB User
    Help - Hospice says we must pay

My friend, who is on medicare, who was in the last stages of liver failure wanted to leave WV and be closer to family in NC so that when she died she would be around family. This worked out well for a few weeks but after a while it was realized that she would need to be taken into a hospice house for all the care and comfort that she needed. My understanding was that my friend's sister had to sign her in (take responsibility for the bill) because my friend hadn't lived in the state at least three months and medicare would cover the bill because of it. I've never heard of such a thing. It just sent a red flag up to me. Does this sound legit??

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Help - Hospice says we must pay

Coordinating Medicare benefits from state to state can be a headache. It very well could be so. She would need to talk to her medicare plan and state agency to be sure and find out what if there is simply some piece missing.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:36 AM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Medicare is assigned by the state you live in...although it is a Federal benefit.

One needs to coordinate benefits PRIOR to using them. A call to Medicare may or may not straighten this out...did the friend who signed her in have power of attorney? Only a POA can sign up for hospice benefits or use someone else's insurance card, even for the patient.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
    Jovick
    (male)

Jovick HB User

Thanks for all of the informative replies. I'm not sure if my friend's sister had POA or not. But I suspect that she did. My friend was in such very bad shape that her sister felt she had no choice but to sign her in to the facility then (thereby taking full financial responsibility). She was blindsided but felt she had no other choice.

I will ask her to follow up with Medicare (if they will even talk with her).

And thanks again!

Reply Reply

Tags
    hospice, medicare