It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• Helpless child of a veteran? Anyone have any info?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
    cookieface
    (female)

cookieface HB User
    Helpless child of a veteran? Anyone have any info?

My fiance has been disabled his whole life. His Dad served in Vietnam and was killed there. My fiance gets disability from the Veterans Administration under the category "helpless child of a veteran". Does anyone on here have any experience with this? If we legally marry, he loses ALL his benefits. Common law marriage applies with this also. A few years ago a family member tried to see if he could switch to SSI disability. They said no. Does anyone on here know if there's any groups or anyone working on lessening these marriage restrictions for those on this disability? Any info anyone has about this type of disability would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #2
    ttwarrior1
    (male)

ttwarrior1 HB Userttwarrior1 HB User
    Re: Helpless child of a veteran? Anyone have any info?

never heard of the helpless thing. Does your dad have to die in vietnam for that

Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
    rhales199
    (female)

rhales199 HB User

I had never heard what it was called before, but i have known someone who I believe recieves those same VA benfits. This friend's father served in vietnam also. Althoug he wasn't killed, he was affected by agent orange, which caused our friend to have a debilitating birth defect, and I know our friend gets VA benfits because of this. I also know that because of the type and severity of his disability, he gets disability. He and another disabled friend of ours (who also gets disability) wanted to get married, and i know one of their major concerns was how much of their benefits they would loose (but i never heard them say that he would loose his VA benefits). So you aren't the only couple that has gone through this.

As far as disability, i think it would be a good idea to try for it, and keep trying. It often takes a while, and a lot of documentation from Dr.s', to get approved.
    Good luck in all your endevours!

Last edited by Administrator; 12-07-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

From my understanding of this "helpless child of a veteran" disability, the widow's & child's benefits would be terminated if she *remarried*.
    The Administrator of Veterans' Affairs are taking the position that the "new husband" should now be taking care of wify & disabled child.
    This whole thing started during the "Indian Wars" & was never updated.

Now, maybe the rules work the same for children when they become adults? I found nothing concerning what happens when these children become adults.

Have you contacted them for confirmation?

Last edited by Administrator; 12-07-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10-13-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
    cookieface
    (female)

cookieface HB User

Thanks to all of you for answering! Mz Migraine, yes, we've confirmed info in writing and over the phone. You're right, there's barely any info on this out there, including when you do an internet search. We have NO out on this. It's just outrageous. If VA sees an income coming into his address, they consider it fraud, etc. If he even moves and doesn't tell them the new address, it's fraud. The reason they recognize him and I live in a common law marriage state is it gives them another reason to cut off payment. They'll use anything. My fiance's Mom re-married, and her benefit was ended, but his wasn't, as he was born disabled. It lasts until he legally marries or does common law marriage. I won't do common law anyway for moral reasons.

I took a big pay cut to work again after being laid off for over 6 months. It took me over 3 years to get back to my old wage. So I'm not in any good position to support anyone. I'm going back to college when I can to improve what I make. Thanks again all of you for replying.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-07-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
    Mz Migraine
    Inactive
    (female)

Mz Migraine HB UserMz Migraine HB User

I wish you & your fiance the best of luck.

As rhales199 already stated, maybe you should write a letter to your Congressman/woman.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
    ttwarrior1
    (male)

my dad was in vietnam. Died a year ago . he went 2 years without drinking and the 2 days before he died people said he was drinking. He also checked himself out of the hospital twice during the previous 2 months .

my mom paid payments every month , even after divorced but didnt pay the last deductable like 2 months before because he couldnt pass a physical and it was alot of money. So got nothing for insurance. I feel screwed in a way.

Im 34 unemployed. I have to watch my sister when my mom works because she is blind and handicapped and it makes it hard for me to find a job. I played arena and semi pro football for years .

Now im sick with no insurance. Do i qualfy for anything. I cant get disabilty. Im not disabled and anytime i need money for something. Its always brought up that i live in a big house and my mom makes enough money. Or get the money from your sisters check to pay for something.

Thanks chris from kentucky

Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Your sister probably can qualify for a home health aid which will enable you to get a job, I would check into that first so that you can regain your own independance. You *might* qualify for some type of medicaide for a short period of time but I do somewhat doubt it since you are healthy with no disabilities.

Your best bet is to really get a private care giver for your sister because if you do not work now when it comes time for you to retire you may not get much if anything at all if you don't have a work history and have not paid into social security.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
    cookieface
    (female)

cookieface HB User

It's worth a try to apply for Medicaid. Where you live, they MAY have a county health system. I used this when I didn't have insurance. I paid a small amount for each visit, based on what I got on unemployment. The Department of Human Services might be able to help get a sitter/nurse, etc., to help you with your sister. I wish you luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
    ttwarrior1
    (male)

she doesnt need any med help. She just cant be left alone and i cant get a job where i can take her too.
    Im considered being a vender or hot dogs, pork chops and stuff like that but dont even have the money to start one up really and i cant get a loan. I dont have bad credit, but no credit whatever that means.

Also can i apply for medicaid online , thanks chris

Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
    rhales199
    (female)

rhales199 HB User

Aides can also provide supervision, not just med/ hygiene help. I have heard of some people that got up to nine hours/ day 5 days/ week of supervision, which made it so their family members could go to work.
    Does your sister get medicaid (or what ever the name of it is in your state). If she does, she should be able to get home health aides for supervision (but you might need a Dr.'s note that says what she needs, I'm not sure).
    Best of luck and take care!!

Last edited by Administrator; 12-07-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #12
    cookieface
    (female)

cookieface HB User

To get credit, you may want to check with Capital 1. They're wonderful at working with those re-building their credit, etc. (such as me). When I was establishing credit, I got cards from people like Capital 1 who are more liberal with who they accept. You may also want to get a co-signer for a loan can help, too, get you established. I'm not sure if you can apply for Medicaid online. But, you could look up department of human services online and the site should direct you how to apply or what office to go to. There's possibly organizations for the blind that can help you out with your sister. I know my fiance had a blind friend that got help from a organization but I don't know the name of it, etc., but she got help with learning how to live independently, etc. I imagine these organizations have websites. Good luck.

Last edited by cookieface; 10-19-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
    ttwarrior1
    (male)

ive been applying for jobs and thinking maybe my health issues maybe a reason. i dont even put them down. a credit check on me would destroy me of most jobs. I cant even go to my next doc appointment. Im almost desperate. Don't even have or qualify for a credit card , . i here there is a clinic about an hour away i can see thats free that takes donations or whatever you can give. maybe someday i will go there but i here my old doc would receive the records of this .

Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
    cookieface
    (female)

cookieface HB User

Dear TTwarrior, by LAW, they CAN'T ask you about health problems on an interview. I learned this from 1 of my doctors. They can ONLY ask you about it ON the job (AFTER you're hired) IF you apply for FMLA. I don't put down my problems either when I've applied to jobs. If the company is of a certain size, etc., they WILL have FMLA coverage. I'm on it at my job. I have 5 things wrong with me, 2 of them are mental/emotional. I didn't say anything about them when interviewing and wasn't asked either. But, I missed more work than they allowed and when they told me that then told me about FMLA. Which was GREAT! It's protected me ever since. You get papers that you take to your doctor who says what you have, how long it'll last, etc. My doctor filled them out for free. It applies to chronic illness (everything I have is chronic) or illnesses that are temporary, ie., like broken leg or something. The stuff I have causes me to be out SPORADICALLY, not stretches of time, but days here and there. You can also use it for surgery. I had gallbladder out and the surgeon filled the papers out so I was covered while out for about a week and 2 days. The free clinic, check it out. Have you applied for Medicaid? Have you checked with your county department of human services? You MIGHT have a clinic in your area where you pay what you can. It sounds like this free clinic might be 1. As far as credit goes, give it a try. I ruined my credit pretty bad in the years when I was drinking. I got credit cards again through people like capital 1 and have re-built. The worst than can happen is they turn you down. It's free to apply. 1 benefit I've had is that I've pretty much had a job since I quit drinking. There's something called CareCredit, too. It's a credit card you use at the doctor's office. You can even use it for pets, at the veterinarian. My fiance is on disability and got a card. It's free to apply and can be done over the phone. I got 1, too, to use at the veterinarian. TT, if you don't try, you'll never know. I know it's easy to feel discouraged when you keep getting turned down. I felt this after I quit drinking and was changing my life. I got turned down on things, too. I used the county clinic/hospital about 10 years ago when I lost my job due to having a broken leg/ankle and had no insurance. So I kind of know how it is. I hope the free clinic works for you. A note on the FMLA, not all companies offer it. Just so you know. But some do. I hope all works out for you. Take care.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
    anniedunn81
    Inactive
    (female)

anniedunn81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cookieface View Post
    My fiance has been disabled his whole life. His Dad served in Vietnam and was killed there. My fiance gets disability from the Veterans Administration under the category "helpless child of a veteran". Does anyone on here have any experience with this? If we legally marry, he loses ALL his benefits. Common law marriage applies with this also. A few years ago a family member tried to see if he could switch to SSI disability. They said no. Does anyone on here know if there's any groups or anyone working on lessening these marriage restrictions for those on this disability? Any info anyone has about this type of disability would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Hi,

It is not a matter of switching, if is considered disabled by SSI, if will also received SSI as well as the VA benefits. I know this because my daughter is a helpless child under the VA system and receives SSI under my social security number as well. It is very complicated and difficult and without my husband I would never be able to make it through even one day. My daughter has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and has been since the age of 11, this is very unusual, in that most people aren't diagnosed until they are in their early 20's. Before she reached the age of 18 we applied for helpless child benefits through the VA and she was awarded these benefits it doesn't add up to much as she is only considered a dependent on my benefits, but it allows her to continue to be eligible for insurance benefits and the small amount she receives helps provide for the high cost of her medical expenses. The social security administration does not count this income when it considered her eligibility for SSI. Due to the nature of her disability she was awarded SSI without being denied first, but most often you can expect to be denied at least once. It is best to apply and be denied and then hire an attorney to help you with your case. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread