It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• to pay for my breast reduction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
    dionne70
    (female)

dionne70 HB User
    to pay for my breast reduction

what do i have to do to get my insurance to pay for my breast reduction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
    Re: to pay for my breast reduction

Dionne:

Each Insurance Company sells thousands of different insurance plans depending on what the purchaser is looking for (to control services, cost, etc). Most often the "purchaser" is the employer buying a policy (or policies) for the employees - and the employee usually pays part of that premium.

My employer offers all level of health plans. I always choose the PPO (usually one of the most expensive plan) but the expense is due to the broad scope of treatments and physicians that will be available to me. Many HMO are very restrictive, thus the monthly cost is lower.

Some Insurance plans will exclude Breast Reduction and not approve it at all. But many insurance plans do cover Breast Reduction, though they may have requirements that must be met before approval (breast size, symptoms being caused by breast size, etc).

The first thing to do is get a copy of the exact insurance plan/policy under which you are covered. Then review it carefully - especially the areas that refer to Exclusions and Limitations.

Then schedule and appointment with your primary care doctor. Be prepared to discuss all of the medical symptoms you are experiencing which led you to the appointment, and ask if breast reduction is an possibly option. Even if the primary care doctor is hesitant ask him/her to at least refer you to a qualified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation. You want to find a Plastic Surgeon that will help advocate on your behalf with the insurance company for coverage of a Breast Reduction if appropriate.

Closed Thread