It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• Had ALJ Hearing... Need feedback

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
    phylomedusa
    (female)

phylomedusa HB User
    Had ALJ Hearing... Need feedback

I live in Michigan. Diagnosis is Bipolar, depression, anxiety, panic attacks and migraines... I had my hearing this past Monday, June 3. I applied last Sept.

I am a nervous wreck awaiting this decision. I have been reading on this site about different cases and the weight of the Vocational Experts opinion... I would love some feedback on people who have gone through similar hearings..

My judge was kind and did not interrupt me although I had heard he is notorious for cutting people off when speaking. He did not do so to me. I don't know if that is a good sign or not. He asked plenty of questions having me go into full detail about my depressive and manic episodes, my panic attacks and migraines symptoms etc... He had commented in the very beginning about how I have barely worked, although I am now 24 yrs old. That I have only worked barely a few months at a time before losing a job... repeatedly...

When he was done questioning me he went to the vocational expert and asked if I could do any of my past work with my current condition(s) she said "NO" but she listed 3 jobs for his first and only hypothetical question which was assuming if I got better could I work. I don't know if this is going to effect me in the present the fact she listed anything, even if it is only if I get better. He asked her how many days of work I could miss and when she said 2 days a month after a 3 month period... He then made some sort of comment on how I probably couldn't stay within the allotted amount of days I could miss per year with my present symptoms.

My lawyer said I did great it went as well as it could have.... She said I was very good at describing my conditions and disorder to him.

I have been broke and struggling since the start of this as many of you have done as well. I just want it to be over because I do not have the strength to keep doing this crap much longer. It is a very biased system. Especially when you see people who absolutely do NOT deserve it getting awarded leaving ppl like us in the dust. Forgetting about us. I really think it went well- my hearing however I just cant shake that hypothetical question the VE answered about if I got better. Any thoughts on this, my case would be appreciated. Thank you and god bless!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
    vann04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User
    Re: Had ALJ Hearing... Need feedback

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phylomedusa View Post
    I live in Michigan. Diagnosis is Bipolar, depression, anxiety, panic attacks and migraines... I had my hearing this past Monday, June 3. I applied last Sept.

I am a nervous wreck awaiting this decision. I have been reading on this site about different cases and the weight of the Vocational Experts opinion... I would love some feedback on people who have gone through similar hearings..

My judge was kind and did not interrupt me although I had heard he is notorious for cutting people off when speaking. He did not do so to me. I don't know if that is a good sign or not. He asked plenty of questions having me go into full detail about my depressive and manic episodes, my panic attacks and migraines symptoms etc... He had commented in the very beginning about how I have barely worked, although I am now 24 yrs old. That I have only worked barely a few months at a time before losing a job... repeatedly...

When he was done questioning me he went to the vocational expert and asked if I could do any of my past work with my current condition(s) she said "NO" but she listed 3 jobs for his first and only hypothetical question which was assuming if I got better could I work. I don't know if this is going to effect me in the present the fact she listed anything, even if it is only if I get better. He asked her how many days of work I could miss and when she said 2 days a month after a 3 month period... He then made some sort of comment on how I probably couldn't stay within the allotted amount of days I could miss per year with my present symptoms.

My lawyer said I did great it went as well as it could have.... She said I was very good at describing my conditions and disorder to him.

I have been broke and struggling since the start of this as many of you have done as well. I just want it to be over because I do not have the strength to keep doing this crap much longer. It is a very biased system. Especially when you see people who absolutely do NOT deserve it getting awarded leaving ppl like us in the dust. Forgetting about us. I really think it went well- my hearing however I just cant shake that hypothetical question the VE answered about if I got better. Any thoughts on this, my case would be appreciated. Thank you and god bless!
    Sorry you feel the ssdi system is biased but it's not. The ssa cannot afford to approve everyone who applys for ssdi. You have people who are twice your age and have worked 30 or more yrs and when they need bennifits they have to to through the same steps as you do. Do you think that it is fair that someone who is twice your age and have worked 30 yrs or more and paid into the system to be put through this so they can get the money they paid into it. How much have you paid into the system,so you have no right to complain you are trying to get ssi money paid to you by the taxpayer's. You have never paid into the system. I'm from Michigan also and I'm on ssdi but I worked 30 yrs before I filed. So please don't say the system is biased because you are asking for free money because you have not worked enough to recive ssdi. So you are going to recive taxpayers money if you get approved.

Last edited by vann04; 06-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
    LivinForHim
    (male)

LivinForHim HB User
    Re: Had ALJ Hearing... Need feedback

shouldn't matter if you are 24 or 54. the system is there for those that cannot work, ssi is for those that haven't worked enough. system shouldn't matter with age, you can become disabled when your 18, god only knows, but don't have the system if its not for what it was intended.

The following user gives a hug of support to LivinForHim:
    Whynowthis (06-15-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to LivinForHim For This Useful Post:
    Whynowthis (06-15-2013)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    alj hearing, ssdi approval, vocational expert