It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• SSD Win in the 2nd Round

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
    SSD Win in the 2nd Round

Hello All,

From what I had read, a win in the second round was very tough, with percentages in the teens for a win. But, alas, I did WIN in the second round (the first appeal). The key was making the rounds of all of my doctors to get updated dx's, fresh blood work, renewed scripts etc... My issues are Crohn's Disease and Generalized Anxiety. One of my Psy docs wrote up a detailed evaluation for me, and all of my providers were kind enough to fill out function reports supplied by my attorney. At the very end of the process the SS determination folks wanted me to see one of THEIR Psy docs. My attorney was adamant that I NOT go since her reputation was that she never wrote reports that helped anyone win their case. My attorney could not think of a single instance where she was helpful. However, for some reason I had a really good feeling about it and I insisted that I go. I was having a particularly bad day for the appointment so she was able to really see how poorly I was functioning. The truth of my condition was evident at that appointment. Afterward I told my attorney that only pure evil and spite could result in an unfavorable report from her. The attorney shrugged me off and spoke of the eventual hearing in front of the judge that he felt was imminent etc...

Shortly after my Psy eval with her, some mystery monies appeared in my checking account and I knew at that point that I had won! The key was a lot of ground work, acquiring new documentation, and highly sympathetic providers that took the time to help the process along. It helped that my issues were real, that my day-to-day function was in line with all of the documentation. So, truth won out.

Good luck to all, you CAN win in the 2nd round!

Iso~

The following user gives a hug of support to Isotope:
    Whynowthis (08-25-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
    Whynowthis
    Veteran
    (female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
    Re: SSD Win in the 2nd Round

Congrats!!!! What a relief, huh?!? Yes, it is very hard to get approved at the second level, I believe it is only 15%, but you did great work! The key to getting approved at the second level is getting NEW information in to them that shows you are clearly disabled. If no new info is received, they will refuse to admit they made a mistake with their first decision, and will deny again. I believe ALL cases I have heard of people winning at the second level is when NEW info is received. Great job at getting them the new info, and congrats!!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
    Tizzz
    (female)

Tizzz HB UserTizzz HB User
    Question Re: SSD Win in the 2nd Round

Congrats on winning !!

WHat exactly is the 2nd level/round? Just curious as I have finally got a date to go before a judge for the very 1st time.

Last edited by Tizzz; 08-26-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Tizzz-

If you are seeing a judge then you well beyond where I was. I think the order is this:

1) Initial Claim
    2) Appeal of first denial
    3) Denial of first appeal
    4) Wait a year for appearance before a judge.

Does that sound about like where you are at?

PS- Another thing I did was I filled out all of the function reports as a self-evaluation. For every Provider that I had I supplied them with the blank reports that they were to complete. But I also included my self-evaluation copy for each. I explained that I was providing an example, and I was giving them information they didn't have. I mean, my Providers had no idea how long I could stand, or sit etc... Most providers don't know us all that well so I think that many of them used my example answers directly because they just didn't have a clue. It also helped speed up the process for their staff, and I was making it clear how I saw myself in the big picture. Bottom line. Make it EASY for your doctors to support your claim, tell them what you want, show them, do the delivery, do the pick up. It's all hard work and time consuming, yes.

I did NOT want my case hanging around any longer than necessary so I pulled out all of the stops right from that first denial. I worked like a dog on my case non-stop until I found out I had won it. College kids would be a great help if you have one or know one since it's like a huge research project.

Iso~

Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
    Whynowthis
    Veteran
    (female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

There are three stages to the process
    1) Initial application
    2) (if denied at initial app) Appeal
    3) (if denied at appeal) Hearing with ALJ

The denial of first appeal you listed isn't really a level, just like the initial denial isn't a level. The levels are all where you need to submit additional info to them. For example, After the second level, if denied, you would go on to submit info for the hearing. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 09-09-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added additional info

Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

W-

Yes, makes more sense than what I wrote, lol.

thnx,

Iso~

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
    Whynowthis
    Veteran
    (female)

Not a problem!! I don't always make sense!! Lol!!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
    Tizzz
    (female)

Question Re: SSD Win in the 2nd Round

Iso -
    I didn't understand what you were saying, Can you explain it a different way? I understand the different levels now just not the area you where speaking about.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Tizzz,

The "area"... hmmm. Not sure what you mean.

Briefly, I applied, I was denied, I appealed, I won.

Now, during my appeal process I was doing quite a bit of clerical, running forms to and from Drs offices, making fresh appts, getting labs, CT's, clarifying my record, getting statements from key people in my life that knew my suffering. I bombarded the SSD folk with so much paper and so many reports and so much corroboration that it all added up to a compelling picture of someone who was disabled.

Did that answer your question?

Iso~

Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
    Isotope
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Tizzz,

Maybe you are asking about my self-evaluations? My Attorney hands me all of the various 'Function' reports that I am to take to my Providers for them to fill out. I look at the questions, I tell my Attorney "My Doctors have no clue what the answers are to these questions". So, I help them with the answers. I fill out a copy myself, a self evaluation, that way my Doctors have something to refer to for a clue. I suspect that a few used my Self Evaluations Verbatim to fill out their copy.

Hope that was what you were wondering.

Iso~

Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #11
    vann04
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
    Tizzz-

If you are seeing a judge then you well beyond where I was. I think the order is this:

1) Initial Claim
    2) Appeal of first denial
    3) Denial of first appeal
    4) Wait a year for appearance before a judge.

Does that sound about like where you are at?

PS- Another thing I did was I filled out all of the function reports as a self-evaluation. For every Provider that I had I supplied them with the blank reports that they were to complete. But I also included my self-evaluation copy for each. I explained that I was providing an example, and I was giving them information they didn't have. I mean, my Providers had no idea how long I could stand, or sit etc... Most providers don't know us all that well so I think that many of them used my example answers directly because they just didn't have a clue. It also helped speed up the process for their staff, and I was making it clear how I saw myself in the big picture. Bottom line. Make it EASY for your doctors to support your claim, tell them what you want, show them, do the delivery, do the pick up. It's all hard work and time consuming, yes.

I did NOT want my case hanging around any longer than necessary so I pulled out all of the stops right from that first denial. I worked like a dog on my case non-stop until I found out I had won it. College kids would be a great help if you have one or know one since it's like a huge research project.

Iso~
    Some states only have 2 appeals the Intial then the hearing.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
    Tizzz
    (female)

Iso -

Yes that answered my question, thanks

Closed Thread