It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• Doctors office using out of network lab

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
    spranz98
    (female)

spranz98 HB User
    Doctors office using out of network lab

Hi All,

I am new here and hoping someone could help me or at least understand my frustrations.

I have been having an ongoing insurance issue with my primary physicians office and up until today I thought it was fixed. Last year there was an issue where their phlebotomist drew blood and randomly sent it to an out of network lab...a bill that after a year of arguing back and forth with them about, i finally had to eat and it was 900.00. The phlembotomist tried to talk her way out of it and apologized saying she would never do it again but even though she was wrong it had been a year and i had to pay b/c i was getting collections calls and letters. If they sent it to an in network lab it would have been free because I had met my deductible.

Now, a year later they absolutely know what lab to use for me because of the huge stink i made and each and every single time they take urine or blood i tell them what lab to use (the doctor even jokes with me and types it on my file when she orders the tests b/c she knows how big of a deal i made about this), they ALL write it down (its a small practice) and they even call me the "quest" girl because they know that is the lab I MUST USE. I had blood work done two weeks ago, got my results in the mail today, and the lady sent it to the wrong lab again!!! I dont even know how this is possible but she messed up and put it in the wrong bin apparently. I have a message into them where I was practically in tears and i must have said the word Quest 50 times. The other issue is, i had two major surgeries this year and paid over 5,000.00 and thus reached my out of pocket maximum for in network so everything has been 100% covered ever since. However, according to my insurance company (who i called immediately to see what can be done) i have not come close to my out of network max so this lab bill will be my responsibility. It's like they literally screwed me by sending it to the wrong lab, if they sent it to the right one it would have been free and now it will be sky high.

My question is, what options do i have if the doctors office refuses to settle somehow with the lab or pay my bill? Can doctors offices even pay you the money for the bill or settle with labs when they make mistakes? This was 1000% their fault...this isnt a case of me or them NOT knowing who my network lab was...it was written on my face, every piece of paper and computer in that office so they CLEARLY know what my in network lab is but for some reason the phlebotomist (who i have spoken to 1000 times and knows QUEST QUEST QUEST) keeps sending everything to the wrong lab! I am hoping and guessing when they hear my message they will all be shocked that this could happen again...but i'm also afraid that me hounding them for another year about this will do nothing.

As if my year of surgeries and hospital bills hasn't been stressful enough to know i am going to receive another high bill that could have easily been avoided is killing me. I just cant afford it and i should be able to take advantage of my 100% in network coverage now that i hit my max.

Anyways, if there is any action that can be taken, or advice that can be given i would really appreciate it. I just cant believe this has happened again.

Thank you,

Lindsay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
    SK59
    (female)

SK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB UserSK59 HB User
    Re: Doctors office using out of network lab

Spranz98,

Have you worked this issue out with your doctors office yet? I would think that they would be responsible for the bill-it was clearly their mistake!

My doctor's office one time ordered an injection for me from a compound pharmacy and had me pick it up and bring it to the office so that they could give me the injection. It was several hundred dollars.
    After I got to the doctors office they were getting ready to give me the injection when the nurse realized that the bottle said " do not give if patient is allergic to latex"-I am allergic to latex. She had already popped the top off the bottle so it couldn't be returned.
    They called the pharmacy and worked it out with them but told me that if the pharmacy wouldn't reimburse me that they would pay me back because they should have noticed the warning before they prepared the injection.

This was totally their fault and you should not have to pay the bill. I hope they do the right thing. Keep us posted.

SK

Closed Thread