It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Health Insurance - SSDI Issues Message Board

• Pregnant and denied medicaid/no income

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
    dinho7
    (male)

dinho7 HB User
    Pregnant and denied medicaid/no income

Hi everybody. I am a 24 year old international student and my wife is now almost 4 months pregnant. She studies full-time and is a Florida resident (3,5 years), but she was denied Medicaid because of lack of citizenship. It seems like you have to have been in the U.S. for at least 5 years to get coverage if you live in Florida, or else the sponsor is responsible for the costs. Unfortunately, the sponsor has no way of helping us and we don't want to get into a legal issue since we are talking about family.

As you might understand, we are in a tricky situation as we did not research enough and took Medicaid for granted while trying to get a baby. We live off financial student aid and some part-time jobs to cover the bills, and there is no way we can afford 10 000 dollars for the pre-natal care and delivery

Are there anybody in here that has been in the same situation and can give us a few pointers? I really don't know what to do. Is there not ANY sort of help for pregnant residents? Can she get insurance with this "pre-existing" condition? Is it possible to negotiate with hospitals for a self-pay price that is way lower than the 10k tag?

I would really appreciate some help in this case. Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Pregnant and denied medicaid/no income

It is possible to negotiate pricing and payment terms. If there is a charity hospital in your area, that's a place to start. Also, can you get insurance thru your school? Most have insurance programs for their students. I'd talk with the International Student program there and find out what they may be able to offer.

Closed Thread