It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board

• to become a Nutritionist

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
    DoodleBob
    (male)

DoodleBob HB User
    to become a Nutritionist

Hello, first time on the forums.

I hope this question hasn't already been answered..

So I am currently a mechanical engineer and apparently unhappy about my job. I recently began experiencing anxiety symptoms (almost daily) and random panic attacks every so often. This has been going on for a few months, so I guess it's technically not a disorder yet.
    A few days ago, I decided to take a Myers-Briggs personality test just for kicks.
    As it turns out, my personality type (ENFJ) should avoid a career like engineering! It could cause me to burn out and even experience anxiety.
    The personality profile fits me almost spot on.

So I began searching around for careers that fit me personality-wise.
    Nutritionist was one of them.

I was wondering, since I already have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, if I could/should even pursue a Nutritionist Certification?
    Or do I need to get a second B.S. degree in nutrition?

Last edited by DoodleBob; 08-15-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2016, 03:59 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    re: to become a Nutritionist

Doodlebob,
    If you want to get a job as a certified nutrionist, you would need a degree in this field. Many hospitals require a master's degree in Nutrition; but not all jobs require the masters degree.

A Myers Brigg test is just a tool. Many a person works in a field which Myers'Brigg says in uncompatible with their personality. Remember, you could take this test 10 times and come up with 10 answers...dont base your future on a test.

However, if nutrition is something you really are interested in; do some research. You may be able to take a class at the local community college to see if you really like it. You should also take a look at the job market to see if this is a field which has needs....if you have a family, you certainly do not want to get into a field which is oversaturated and there are no jobs available. You also want to look at the potential income you can make. Engineers notoriously make allot more money than nutrionists. Can you live on a reduced salary?

Lots of decisions, but if nutrition is your passion, you should go for it! You will need a degree in order to get a permanent position or have any credibility in the field.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    DoodleBob (08-15-2016)
    Old 08-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
    DoodleBob
    (male)

DoodleBob HB User

Hi MSNik,

Thanks for the reply!
    I didn't know that most hospitals require master's degrees, that is useful information.

I know the Myer's Briggs test is simply a tool.
    I usually take those tests with a grain of salt, but I was very shocked at all the very accurate and personal details it went into.

I have a passion for teaching and the sciences, I was actually considering on pursuing that path.
    I feel like Nutrionist/Dietician is the best of both worlds.

Also, it may come as a surprise, but the fact that engineers makes a lot of money is a tiny bit misleading.
    Yes, an engineer can make 6 figures, but that is with a lot of experience along with the Professional Engineering license.
    Right now, I am only 3 years in.
    Maybe I'm jumping the gun too soon, but I just feel like this is simply not the field for me.
    I love it, but my body is burning out, which is what the Myers Briggs test said would happen. Apparently, my personality allows me to do well, but burn out fast in fields like engineering.

Last edited by DoodleBob; 08-15-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

It sounds like you have thought allot about this. Since you feel this is the right move for you, you should follow your instincts. Maybe start with taking one course and seeing if this is something you can really get excited about!

Its an interesting field for sure...helping people manage their diseases with better eating habits, working with people who are trying to lose weight and even just helping people who are trying to eat better; you will meet all sorts of people!

Best of luck to you!!
    MSNik

The Following User Says Thank You to MSNik For This Useful Post:
    DoodleBob (08-16-2016)
    Reply Reply