It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board

• Nursing: some questions.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #16
    sammyboy22
    (male)

sammyboy22 HB User
    Re: Nursing: some questions.

Hey, I am trying to get into Nursing too. I have one more class I have to take and pass with a C+ or better before I can apply for the program. I am going to the local community college to do their 2 year program for RN and then probably transfer and eventually get my BSN. What sucks is I will be on a waiting list for a few years because the community college's nursing program is in such high demand. It is a little bit discouraging but, I know it is what I really want to do and someday (hopefully by the time I am 30 (but hopefully sooner) I am 23) I will be working as an RN......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #17
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I am currently getting my lpn. I may strive to be a nurse practicioner some day but that is far off. As far as what to get, well, what do you want to do? If you just want to work on the floor or in a clinic then your adn is fine. If you want to go into management, director of nursing, etc.. you may want to get your bsn. OUr DON is an ADN, and many of our supervisors are too, so not having your bsn won't hold you back necessarily. I am doing the LPN first to make more money while I am in school for my ADN-I have been working as an aid for eight years and ten bucks an hour isn't cutting it, plus, I want to have something more. I have wanted to be a nurse since I was five-my mom has her ADN, my mil her BSN. Both started as an LPN first. Much depends on how you want to get there. I took two years of reg school, then went to work full time and never finished. So, now i am getting my LPN over a year. I am not in a college though, so I dont get any college credit for my courses. Lucky for me I have most of my pre-reqs. After I have my LPN there is flexibility for school. Evening courses, accelerated programs for LPNs. Plus, you have much of the experience that the new students will not have and you can make more money while in school. It is important to understand what you want and how long you want to take to get there, and how much money you want to put into it. There is no wrong way of doing this. In the end you are a nurse that is so needed and that is what is important, right? Even though I want RN behind my name, I am just as important having LPN too.
    I really would love to do ER but I can't lift much since I just had back surgery so I will strive for ICU nursing. SOme places will use LPNs but I think I need my RN for icu with the iv pushes and stuff. I don't care for paperwork, I love hands on and I love bedside care, just can't do the lifting. I may have to work in a clinic. Getting the medsurg experience is a good foundation (as said above). From there, you can pretty much go into what ever you want as long as they feel you qualify. MOst nursing experience is aquired on the floor, not in school. So, a nurse may be ICU for ten years with no experience in ortho. Make sense???
    I wish you all the best. Nursing is the best place to be as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #18
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Okay, time to bump this back up to the top with an update on my progress! In the many months since the last reply here, I've started on my pre-reqs, learned a lot more about the different specialties in nursing, and picked out a school to transfer to! Since all the Associates degree programs have long waiting lists, I'm going for my BSN. That will give me more options anyway, like management, case management, etc.

After doing yet more research, I've set a long term goal to become a nurse practicioner!

I think I'm kinda drawn towards critical care, but every specialty has something to teach. Case managment looks kind of fun and seems like as a CM, you have the oppurtunity to make major decissions and positive impacts on people's lives! But, then again...what nurse doesn't make a positive impact on someone's life?

I've also read a lot about Hospice work, which seems interesting, too.

But one thing at a time...I have to get through school an get some general med/surg knowledge filed away before I can really persue any of my other goals!

I'd like to extend a thank you to everyone who offered advice and information in this thread...it was all very helpful and insightful! I hope you are all doing super!

Old 04-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #19
    chewbug
    Inactive
    (female)

chewbug HB User

I,m retired now. But I,ve been a nurse for over 30 years. I,ve worked nursing home, hospital(rehab,med. surg. and ER.0 I,ve also done some private duty on a ventilator case. Your original question asked"which is better? Bachelors degree or Associate" The Bachelors is higher and will get you more money. You need a couple of years experience before you consider traveling nurse or cruise ship. Only you can know what you would like to do best. If your a people person and think you would prefer bedside nursing, then you would probably like medsurg. That was always my favorite. Like you, I like bedside contact too. Time passes too quick, so if you get into something you really don,t enjoy doing, get out fast! You,ll find your niche. Go for what you want, have fun and always consider when your taking care of a patient, " If this were my mom or grandmother, how would I want someone else to treat them?"

Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #20
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Hi! Thank you for your response. No matter what I do, I'm going to start out in Med/Surg, just to get the basic skills down. People say it's really hard to go right into a specialty, and learn about the specialty, and basic nursing care, right out of school. I'm not sure rather I'd prefer a cruise ship over just a regular travel assigment, but I'd be open to trying both! However, like you said...I need some experience before I can do either. So, that is a goal of mine that is way in the future. But hey, I like to dream big...maybe that's why I'm doing research on FNP schools already, and don't even have my BSN yet. LOL

What was your experience in Rehab like? I've overcome a lot of physical problems, when the odds were stacked agianst me. The whole experience has made me into the passionate, caring, go-getter I am today. The other day, I was talking to someone, and they sugested I go work in a Rehab facility, since I could be a real inspiration to many there. So, I'm just curious what the nurses role is in Rehab.

Thanks for your answers!

Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #21
    tcracing59
    Inactive
    (male)

tcracing59 HB User

Hello everyone

I am a 43 y/o man with cerebral palsy. I need to go to school for something but i dont know what. First I thought computers but I dont know if there are enough jobs in computers where i live, I'm in cleveland, ohio. Then i started thinking maybe something in health care, but what. I thought of medical assistant, dental assistant, x-ray tech or ultrasound tech or maybe something else, 1 question about medical assistant do you need to know how to type, with my cerebral palsy i dont know if i could learn how to type, i just use the 2 finger method. Could someone help me or give me some advice.

thank you, Ken

Old 11-18-2006, 07:46 AM   #22
    jlcgwu0811
    (female)

jlcgwu0811 HB User

I've been an RN for 3.5 years now. I started with my CNA in high school and then moved to an ADN program. Once I graduated and passed boards, I began working in the hospital. The first 6 months I was there, I worked on the float pool so I had experience in everything from ER, ICU, L&D, psych, M/S. I did it all! It was great experience. The I settled down on a floor that was for oncology, peds, M/S and detox (yes that was all on one floor, this was a small hospital). I stayed there for a year and a half. While I worked at the hospital, I went to school for my BSN. I graduated in 2005 with it. In Sept 2005 I went to work at a hematology and oncology office. I love it. You just have to find your niche. Try it all! Good luck in school! Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Jenn

Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 AM   #23
    Midget
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Midget HB User

Hi Jenn - thanks for the reply...which I just saw now, two months later. I just started another term at school, and I am taking Medical Terminology and Sociology of Health & Aging online. Then I am taking statistics on campus.

The flexibility and choices of where to work like you describe are some of the reasons I choose to become a nurse.

Closed Thread