HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Healthcare Professionals (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/healthcare-professionals/)
-   -   Nursing: some questions. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/healthcare-professionals/330907-nursing-some-questions.html)

Midget 10-08-2005 11:24 AM

Nursing: some questions.

I am seriously considering going into nursing, so I have a few questions.

1. Should I get a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing, or is an Associates degree enough?

2. Is it pretty easy to switch to another Unit, if you want to work as a different kind of nurse?

3. Any thing that you feel is important to know about Nursing?

Vanguard 10-08-2005 01:31 PM

Re: Nursing: some questions.

[QUOTE=Midget]I am seriously considering going into nursing, so I have a few questions.

1. Should I get a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing, or is an Associates degree enough?

[B]1. Just like anything else, a higher level of education will bring more opportunities.

Just like, "Should I stay as an LPN or should I go for my RN?"

I worked in a placed that they place where they pay LPNs pretty decent. So it's really your choice if you want to stay in the same status because you're satisfied, or tap in to something that would give you a chance to explore more. [/B]

2. Is it pretty easy to switch to another Unit, if you want to work as a different kind of nurse?

[B]If your unit is so desperate for nurses (that's almost a no-brainer), your manager may give you a hard time to move on. In my case, my manager understood that I need that experience that's why after a few gripes, she signed the paper for transfer. Hey if you have to go, you have to go! Within your hospital or you have to find another place.[/B]

3. Any thing that you feel is important to know about Nursing?

[B]Where do you want to start?[/B][/QUOTE]

Midget 10-08-2005 10:45 PM

Where do I want to start? No clue...there's a lot of information, so instead of picking a starting place I've just been kinda gathering it as it comes along. Thanks for your response! What unit do you work in? Have you worked there always? What's your "typical" day like? What hours do you work? Let's start there, if you don't mind. :)

Vanguard 10-09-2005 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Midget]Where do I want to start? No clue...there's a lot of information, so instead of picking a starting place I've just been kinda gathering it as it comes along. Thanks for your response!

What unit do you work in?

Have you worked there always? What's your "typical" day like? What hours do you work? Let's start there, if you don't mind. :)[/QUOTE]

After I got my LPN, I worked in a nursing home. Three to 11 the whole time. They really pay well plus since it's a nursing home it's a smaller community as oppose to hospital; I like it that way.

I moved to a family practice that is owned by a major hospital. I learned some good stuff (you'll learn things no matter how petty you think they are) but I cannot work directly under doctors. [Personality] clashes between docs and nurses are not unusual or surprising. But there are docs that give us respect therefore they get paid respects as well in return. I was still working in the same nursing home per diem.

I moved back to the same NH full-time (3-11) and stayed there until I got my RN.

Before I forget, I was also an army LPN. That is something I would recommend.

I decided to get my hospital experience and moved to a med surg unit. Only stayed there for a year and requested to be Xferred to CCU for experience. My decision to transfer is because I want learn new things and my evening supervisor (yes I kept my 3-11 hours) suggested that since I am a male nurse I should be in a high-paced specialty.

I'm happy with my choice but it's (hospital/bedside) not for me. I want a M-F, morning shift job (although, occasional on-call weekends is acceptable). I'm single and I want to spend my free time similar to the norm.

My suggestion to you is to get experience in Med Surg, that should be your foundation. At least for a year.

Maybe bedside nursing is not for you but I insist that you get bedside experience right after school.

Midget 10-09-2005 03:22 PM

I hate paper work, the bedside stuff is what appealed to me first off when I started researching nursing. Hmm, a male nurse...most of the answers I've been getting are from women. :) As a male, it's nice to hear from one of my own. :P Although, all the people - gender aside - who have given me answers have given me great ones...and I appreciate that a whole lot! :) What is Med/Surg exactly? I've been reading a lot, and most people say that's were you should start out to get your experience. That you see a lot of things, and there is a lot to learn there.

Midget 10-09-2005 09:47 PM

I read about camp nursing the other day...and cruise ship nursing. Both which really appealed to me. :D But I need to get into school first, and get some experience next. :P But those options are what really made me seriously start to consider nursing. The more I read, the more I want to do it. :) You heard anything about travel nursing? That seems kinda neat, too!

Vanguard 10-10-2005 04:20 AM

[QUOTE=Midget]I read about camp nursing the other day...and cruise ship nursing. Both which really appealed to me. :D But I need to get into school first, and get some experience next. :P But those options are what really made me seriously start to consider nursing. The more I read, the more I want to do it. :) You heard anything about travel nursing? That seems kinda neat, too![/QUOTE]

Travel nursing agencies prefer nurses to have at least a year in the specialty they want to apply in. But because of the dire need, they could probably waive it.

I also read about cruise nursing too. It also appealed to me. I believe they want several years of ER or Critical Care experience for that kind of gig. Afterall, there are only a handfull of medical/nursing staff on the boat...you are the entire hospital staff.

What I want to do now is work for a company as an occupational health nurse.

Midget 10-10-2005 03:00 PM

Yeah, the cruise ship people want several years of ER and CCU experience. :) What's an occupational health nurse?

Vanguard 10-10-2005 05:27 PM

Maybe you should checking:

www.aaohn.org/

Sorry kind of hard of me to explain in details.

Midget 10-10-2005 06:42 PM

Would it be difficult for you to work in CCU without your med/surg experience? What all do you do in CCU?

Midget 10-12-2005 08:11 PM

No problem. I think I think I would want to go to M/S, just for the experience, and not jump right into a speciallty. Cool site, thank you!

Midget 10-13-2005 08:46 PM

I've done some more reading...and each time I found out about some new type of nursing, which you wouldn't really think of as "speciality". The number of oppurtunities make me more and more excited each day! :-)

PLTSGT 10-24-2005 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Midget]I've done some more reading...and each time I found out about some new type of nursing, which you wouldn't really think of as "speciality". The number of oppurtunities make me more and more excited each day! :-)[/QUOTE]

This profession has so much to offer.

BarbaraH 10-30-2005 09:50 AM

Hi -

Med/Surg is where ill people and patients needing general surgery go. It involves almost all of the body's internal systems except ...
Neuro - brain, spine
Cardiovascular - heart, circulation
Ortho - bones
OB/GYN - women and reproductive issues
Uro - kidneys, bladder, male reproductive issues
ENT - ear/nose/throat
Opthalmology - eyes
Peds - kids
Trauma - acute care of injuries
Psych - mental health

If you look at hospital units/floors and doctor's specialities, they follow these divisions. The rest is Med/Surg and the doctors who see these patients are mostly internists and general surgeons.

The great thing about being a nurse is you can work in all of these hospital areas , plus many others in industry, the military, schools, offices, etc. Why, there are even nurses in resorts, on cruise ships, and all sorts of wonderful places. You can find a job anywhere you want to live. If you have chosen to work in surgery or a critical care area (ICU/CCU/Trauma), it's really easy to find a job.

A 4 year RN degree will let you teach, be a manager, and do anything else in nursing.
An RN diploma from a hospital school of nursing perpares you for anything, but involves less classwork, so you might encounter some teaching and management limitations and sometimes lower pay.
An associate degree is more limiting in teaching and management and sometimes even less pay.

There are also degree programs available to AD and diploma nurses that enable you to get your degree while you work. There are regional differences in pay and job requirements.

I'm a diploma graduate, love patient care, and have worked ER and surgery during my 30 year career as an RN. My education prepared me well.

BTW, paperwork is essential in all of nursing. The watchword is "Not documented is not done." Believe it!

Wishing you well - Barbara

PLTSGT 10-31-2005 07:06 AM

I graduated in the mid 90s and I'm through with bedside nursing. I want to go in to unpopular nursing jobs.