It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board

• Inappropriate endocrinologist behavior?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
    s2l0a7s9

s2l0a7s9 HB User
    Inappropriate endocrinologist behavior?

Hi, I am 19 went to see an endocrinologist for the first time because my heart has been racing and my family has a history of metabolic problems, so I thought an endocrinologist would be the first to see. However, he made me undress from the waist up and after checking my neck he also briefly (as obscene as this sounds) with both hands at once, reached out and grabbed my breasts. I wonder if this is standard for an endocrinologist...it was clearly NOT a breast exam (if he had done a proper exam he would have noticed a large non-cancerous tumor that I have gotten checked out at two gynos) and the nurse was there. However, it seemed very crude and made me feel really awkward. Someone please tell me that all endocrinologists do this to check for some metabolic...something?

-Lindsay-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Inappropriate endocrinologist behavior?

Well, I have never had a doctor of any kind act like that and I am many, many years older than you. Usually, when a doctor examines the breast it is done in a gentle manner, certainly not a grabing way.

If it was me, I would find another doctor.

Did he give you a gown or paper jacket to wear with opening in the front? If not, he was way out of line having you to strip to your waist. At least a paper top or gown helps the patient feel they are not so exposed.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
    s2l0a7s9

s2l0a7s9 HB User

thanks for your reply...i told my mother who also goes to this doctor, and she thought it was inappropriate but I wasn't sure. i was wearing a gown on top, which he pulled down at that time. i wasn't sure in any way how it was related to endocrinology, but then i'm not a doctor.

-Lindsay-

Old 06-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

A good general rule of thumb is the same one you were probably told as a child... If it feels inappropriate or makes you feel uncomfortable, it probably is wrong. Of course, you may not be totally comfortable getting a breast or pelvic exam, but the difference is that the medical necessity of the procedure has been explained and the exam is carried out in a professional manner, keeping you covered as much as possible and explaining what's going on as it happens. A doctor just grabbing you for no apparent medical reason, with no explanation, and in an unprofessional manner is not right. Also, I saw two different endocrinologists a few years ago, and neither one of them examined my breasts.

You may want to consider reporting this doctor to your state's medical board. They probably have a website and you may even be able to file the complaint online.

Closed Thread