It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board

• Foreign Doctor becoming US certified

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
    hydrarkt
    (male)

hydrarkt HB User
    Foreign Doctor becoming US certified

Hi,
    I have a good friend who works as an ENT doctor in Ukraine. She graduated medical school there.
    Can anyone tell me the certification process for a foreign certified doctor who moves to the USA and seeks cerification here.
    Thanks
    J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
    stick2013
    Inactive
    (female)

stick2013 HB User
    Re: Foreign Doctor becoming US certified

A friend of mine became a Dr in the US Virgin Islands, but upon returning state side... He still had to do residency of 4 yrs, and become State certified in the state he was living to become a US Dr. It was around 10 yrs ago so I don't know if things have changed any..

Sid

Old 10-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
    cgarmany
    (male)

cgarmany HB User
    Re: Foreign Doctor becoming US certified

Your friend would need to check with the board of medical examiners for the particular state she would like to practice in (guidelines vary from state-to-state). She will probably need to be certified by the Educational Commission for Foriegn Medical Graduates (ECFMG), which involves passing Step I, II, and III of the USMLE exam. Most states require at least one year of supervised residency training by a program accredited by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) as the bare mininum for licensure. She would also probably need to be board certified in order to practice in a specialized field such as ENT. Another important hurdle is obtaining the proper Visa to work in the U.S. It's not easy.

I know this is a lot of information, but check the state's requirments first, then go the ECFMG's webiste would be my recommendation in order to get started.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hydrarkt
    Hi,
    I have a good friend who works as an ENT doctor in Ukraine. She graduated medical school there.
    Can anyone tell me the certification process for a foreign certified doctor who moves to the USA and seeks cerification here.
    Thanks
    J

Closed Thread