It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board

• Always a nervous Nurse:

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
    tvicky
    (female)

tvicky HB User
    Always a nervous Nurse:

Hello to all who are reading this,

I am always nervous. I worry about how my day will go when I get up in the morning to go to work; and I worry excessively about how the day went when I get home from work. I constantly worry about what others think of me - pathetic hey??? But, I just can't get over it.

I wish I could find another line of work. But I'm not sure if I interview poorly, am under/overqualified. Nurses are notoriously hurtful to one another. I work in a hospital where nurses thrive on cutting down newer nurses (me and others). I just try to grin and bear it but I have terrible anxiety attacks when I get home and then I cry.

I would like a job where I didn't have to deal with people the way I do now. I think I talk over peoples' heads and I feel depressed and irritated with all of the garbage that goes on with my fellow nurses. Nurses are mean to each other - it is a known fact. I want out of nursing in the worst way - but I don't know what other options there are. I post my resume and I just find sales jobs that get sent to me

Any comments/suggestions? Gracias!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
    myk327
    (male)

myk327 HB User
    Re: Always a nervous Nurse:

nursing is actually what got me into anxiety in the first place. I was in nursing school when i had my first panic attack. i was studying like crazy and most of all I was studying the heart and oxygenation. After a 12 hour study stint i felt faint, my heart was racing, and I started having chest pains. A nursing student knows that these are classic symptoms of having a heart attack so of course it fed my anxiety. I went to the ER and they said it was indeed anxiety and of course the panic attack deflated. I kept on with studying nursing then I started to despise it. The long hours, not getting to spend all the holidays with your family, and constantly seeing people get ill and potentially die. I decided to take a turn in my career and I am now self employed. This doesn't sit well with anxiety either because I can sit at home all day and just let my anxiety grow. Things do get better. But I believe a big part of taming your anxiety is finding an occupation or better yet a life's calling or purpose that you feel good about. Something that is rewarding at the end of your day. I thought I had that with nursing but I was wrong the first day I stepped into a hospital. My fiance is a nurse too and she dreads it and already wants a change in career, and this is only her first year! My advice is to do what you think is best for you and your peace of mind in the long run. Money and security isn't everything...it takes a back seat to your happiness. Good luck

Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
    tvicky
    (female)

tvicky HB User

Thank you for your response. I hope that your fiance finds another line of work for herself if she hates nursing as well.

While I was in Nursing school, I thought that the nurses, fellow students, clinical instructors were awful - but from a students' perspective, I thought that "Oh I AM lowman on the totem pole because I am a student". I worry more about the "dirty tricks squad" meaning my fellow nurses than I do pts. I do not like my pts' families either - they are either in healthcare in some form or another ready to pounce on you; or they like to go into hysterics about things that they do not understand. I feel like I worry all the time. Worry enough to make myself go crazy and my family crazy. I hate being a Nurse and I've tried 2 kinds of Nursing jobs in 2 years! I hate feeling like this it's awful. And people say, "Oh that's such a rewarding profession!" (Not sure what in the heck that is all about No one really appreciates you anyway).

I just don't know what to do for a living otherwise. Sales - I'm not a talker but that seems to be what the head hunters look for if you're a nurse putting your resume out there looking for non-Nurse kinds of work. It's just not for me.

Anyway, thank you again for your thoughts.

Sincerely,

I Hate nursing . com

Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Post Re: Always a nervous Nurse:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tvicky
    Hello to all who are reading this,

I am always nervous. I worry about how my day will go when I get up in the morning to go to work; and I worry excessively about how the day went when I get home from work. I constantly worry about what others think of me - pathetic hey??? But, I just can't get over it.

I wish I could find another line of work. But I'm not sure if I interview poorly, am under/overqualified. Nurses are notoriously hurtful to one another. I work in a hospital where nurses thrive on cutting down newer nurses (me and others). I just try to grin and bear it but I have terrible anxiety attacks when I get home and then I cry.

I would like a job where I didn't have to deal with people the way I do now. I think I talk over peoples' heads and I feel depressed and irritated with all of the garbage that goes on with my fellow nurses. Nurses are mean to each other - it is a known fact. I want out of nursing in the worst way - but I don't know what other options there are. I post my resume and I just find sales jobs that get sent to me

Any comments/suggestions? Gracias!

I completely understand what you're saying and am truly sorry you are feeling so bad. It is a shame that nurses treat each other so badly.

Can you check into a part time nursing position that offers benefits? That way you can continue to work in nursing which is what you trained for but, don't get overly saturated with the negatives ie; stress from working full time.

You might consider going into Home Health which would give you one on one patient contact. You may find this type of work more rewarding than hospital work.

I hope things get better for you, we need good nurses.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 AM   #5
    lollylegs
    (female)

lollylegs HB User

Hi I an RN and also a psychologist. I used ot suffer dreadful anxiety and panic attacks when I was nursing. Go and see a psychologist. Cognitive Behviour Therapy is very effective for anxiety. Good books for self help are
    Living with It. Bev Aisbett
    Power over Panic.
    you don't have to live with it , honestly...it is VERY treatable

lolly

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2007 at 07:05 AM.

Closed Thread