It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthcare Professionals Message Board

• Going to Nursing school...any good tips?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
    mys_star
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mys_star HB User
    Going to Nursing school...any good tips?

I will be starting nursing (probably in the fall) and will be taking some other courses over the summer to help prepare more. Does anyone have any advice or good tips that will help me to be more prepared when I actually start? I know my Math is a little rusty,( but I can practice with that beforehand and take a refresher course also). Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
    kind1
    (female)

kind1 HB User
    Re: Going to Nursing school...any good tips?

;) I actually was just surfing the message boards and wanted to see what kinds of posts were left here. I just wanted to caution you though that if you have symptoms of ocd, to be cognizant of how it's affecting you since cleanliness is so important in allied health, and stress certainly aggravates almost any health issue and I don't want your symptoms to worsen. As for nursing school in and of itself, they say to read anything that you can get your hands on. It can be children's books to help simplify parts of the body/system or medical encyclopedia. Time management and allotting enough study time will be crucial since there is so much information to learn and memorize. Perhaps get into a study group or such.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
    beebz
    (female)

beebz HB User

Hello!! I am about to graduate (may 5 ..YAY) from my nursing program. Nursing school can be easy or difficult, just depends on the school and program. My program in the hardest in TN. I got preg at the end of first semester and ended up having all kinds of problem and delivering my daughter 2 mths early (but luckily during summer brk). Thats been the hardest part for me. The best advice is to try to control your stress because it is a huge factor in your success. Get a lot of NCLEX books from a local bookstore and do a ton of practice questions...sometimes answering the question correctly is about reading wht they are ASKING you... You will understand what I am saying when you start. Math is no big deal. Dosages and drip rates and everything will come easily once the formula is introduced to you. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
    mys_star
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mys_star HB User
    Smile Re: Going to Nursing school...any good tips?

"Congratulations" on your upcoming graduation! It encourages me to hear how others make it through nursing because a lot of times people tell you how hard it is and it can make your confidence level go way down! I'm glad to know that the math is not that big of a deal because it is one of my harder subjects! My mind just don't process numbers well at all! Did you have to take chemistry or algebra? That's what really has me worried!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
    beebz
    (female)

beebz HB User

I took statistics, college algebra, dosage calculations and chem 1 and 2. Chem 2 and statistics were the only ones I had any problem with and averaged a B in both of them. As long as you think you can do it and believe in yoruself, you will do great!!

Closed Thread