It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board

• Healthy Vegan Lifestyle

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #1
    aveas
    (male)

aveas HB User
    Healthy Vegan Lifestyle

I want to live a healthy vegan lifestyle. The foods I plan on eating are:

Vegetables
    Fruits
    Nuts
    Legumes
    Whole Grains

The only beverage I plan on drinking is water. Also, I want to live by the paradigm in which each food I eat has only one ingredient, the food itself. I also would like to incorporate some fasting in addition to this lifestyle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Healthy Vegan Lifestyle

You didn't ask a specific question so I assume you're looking for comments in general.

Of course, being a vegan, I approve of the vegan lifestyle. I've been a vegan since about 2006.

The biggest part of the diet should center around vegetables. And it should include a wide variety of vegetables. Lots of dark leafy greens and other vegetables of all colors. A white potato once in a while is okay as long as it's just one serving (i.e., 1/2 cup).

Raw cruciferous vegetables are known a goitrogens because they will block the absorption of iodine. Iodine is needed for proper thyroid function. And most iodine comes from seafood which you will not be eating. So it may be best to cook all cruciferous vegetables and try not to exceed one serving per day.

I think whole grains are good as long as they are intact whole grains and not grain that has been ground into flour and made into bread. A good example of an intact grain is whole wheat berries. Because bread is made with flour it gets absorbed fast and will spike your blood sugar and insulin. Whole wheat berries will be absorbed slowly and keep you satisfied longer. Part of it will reach your lower digestive tract and provide nourishment for the beneficial microorganisms that are so important for a healthy immune system. Whole grain rice is another intact grain. Amaranth, mostly found in health food stores, looks like a grain but is actually a seed and can be substituted for grain on occasion.

When it comes to fruits, try not to always go for the sweetest fruits. For example I favor regular oranges over navel oranges which are super sweet.

I think nuts and seeds are good within reason. Brazil nuts are very rich in selenium and should only be eaten in very small amounts, like a couple per week. And peanuts are said to interfere with thyroid function.

Because you won't be eating animal protein, it's a good idea to take a small B12 supplement. I use liquid B12 so I can decide what amount I want to take. Most tablets contain massive doses of B12 which I don't need.

These are just some random thoughts that I figure might be helpful. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

FASTING: Here's an example: Let's say you finish eating dinner by 6:00pm and you start eating your breakfast at 6:00am, that's 12 hours of fasting, assuming you don't eat any snacks in the evening before going to sleep. You can adjust the hours for as many hours of fasting as you want.

Reply Reply