It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board

• Giving up soda

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #16
    craigs97
    (male)

craigs97 HB User
    Re: Giving up soda

I haven't had a soda in three years now. I used to drink a lot of it, but I quit cold turkey one day. After about a month, it was no big deal. I never had a problem with the cutoff of caffeine, but it took effort to keep from getting a soda out of habit. I sleep a lot better at night, lost some weight, and I used to get these awful headaches that went away after I quit. Go for it, you'll only be helping yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
    hannahbob04
    (female)

hannahbob04 HB User

When I was in high school, I gave up soda and all carbonated beverages and coffee for 1 year 3 months 3 weeks and 2 days. I did it mainly because I have acid reflux (diagnosed when I was 8 or 9 yo) and because I could use to lose weight. The first 3 days were the hardest because of the headaches...I had been drinking an average of 2-3 cans of pop/day and 2-3 cups of coffee/capaccino per week for prolly 5 years. I didn't lose weight, but it really helped me to maintain my weight (I didn't do any other lifestyle modifications) and it cleared up my face after a month (I didn't have acne, but moderate episodes of pimples, especially around my period). I also had a dramatic decline in the number of canker sores I experienced, period pain was a lot milder, less problems with cysts on my ovary (I only have one) and in my breasts.

After graduation I had a job working 3rd shift and I was so tired from not being used to the change and I started drinking soda again and haven't been able to give it up even though I haven't worked 3rd shift for 6 months now. And just 2-3 weeks after starting back up all that stuff I mentioned up above came back to it's previous severity and I have been gaining weight.

Give up the pop...you will not regret it...but, you will have to get used to hearing your friends say, "You want a soda?...oh yeah...nevermind...Do you want some water?" My friends, even a year into it, still forgot!

Old 07-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It took me over a year to completely get off caffeine...had horrid headaches and nausea. So, I took it one day at a time and trie dto cut down one soda/cup of coffee at a time. Harder than quiting smoking! But am so glad I did. And I can't do the fake sweetners...am highly sensitive to them. And the caffeine free Coke was dreadful tasting! So, no caffeine, no diet...now I just drink water, wine and an occasional hard liquor drink. I do drink hot tea but it is herb or caffeine free. I do keep ginger ale around for the rare upset tummy...anyway, bottom line...ditch the caffeine and the aspartame...it's all bad for you.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #19
    Bell Jar
    Inactive
    (female)

Bell Jar HB User

It might be difficult to do at first because you're so dependant on the caffine. But after awhile you won't even miss the stuff. On the few occasions where I've had soda, it hasn't even tasted that great anymore. It's too sweet and way too filling.

Closed Thread