It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Healthy Lifestyle Message Board

• Thinking about going Vegetarian...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User
    Thinking about going Vegetarian...

Hey all,
    I made over my diet several months ago, and dropped almost all meat. I eat TONS of fruits, veggies, nuts, lowfat cheeses and whole grains. I feel GREAT and I'm quite simply lovin' it.

So I'm sitting here asking myself, why not go all the way? The only meat I am eating is tuna on whole wheat bread during two of my meals a day. I read it's a very beneficial food, is good for you, and it's very convenient for me. Now I'm seeing these reports about high mercury levels, health risks, etc etc.

I've read about "tuno" and some tricks to use at home with firm tofu. But, I can't really afford to sacrifice protein at this stage in the game. I have one pouch of Starkist Chunk Light in Water per day, which contains 90 calories, 1g fat, 380mg of Sodium, and 19g of protein. Any thoughts or ideas? The whole sandwhich concept works because I can make it the night before and throw it in a little baggie, eat it on the go if need be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
    missmanda05
    (female)

missmanda05 HB User
    Smile Re: Thinking about going Vegetarian...

hello, I know what your talking about I have been a vegetarian and a vegan both. I had no probs with it execpt when I was a vegetarian I was hungry alot more. With being a vegan it was hard to find food unless I went to whole foods or a health store... I lost weight being a vegan but its hard work. My younger sister was a vegetarian for 5 years and now she eats fish only...She was a vegan for 9 months our of the 5 years and she also had a hard time finding food...She is a big animal lover and along with me she just has alot more choices now and is alot healtheir...I think everyone has their own right to eat what they like to. If you pick to give up tuna I hope you do great or if you stick with it I hope you do great as well... Good luck and always take care. Sonya

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    I think we can make it!!~~Way2Go~~

Old 05-15-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
    Sonflower1116
    (female)

Sonflower1116 HB User
    Re: Thinking about going Vegetarian...

You can safely eat canned tuna, preferably packed in water, twice a week. Of all the talk about mercury levels in fish, it's mainly the larger fish that are causing concerns. I eat farm-raised salmon at least 3-4 times a week as I can't get fresh-water salmon locally (and who can afford $18 per lb?) and tuna once in awhile. I just had a lab test done for mercury levels and mine are normal.

On a personal note, I would be more concerned with the aluminum package that your tuna is in as there are reports about the dangers of cooking, wrapping, storing, freezing with aluminum, drinking colas from aluminum cans, etc. The aluminum leeches into the foods and it has been possibly linked with Alzheimers. Oh great, you're thinking, another thing to be worried about.

Old 05-15-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User

I guess since Sonflower bumped the thread to the top, I'll share what I've been up to.

This weekend I bought extra firm tofu, sweet and sour marinade, fresh brocolli, carrots, snap peas, water chesnuts and baby corn. I stir-fryed it all up and made some wild rice to go with it. It was really darn good. The leftovers were even better today, just threw everything, rice and all, into a pan on the stove and heated it up. Makes me hungry just thinking about it again. Still trying to give tuna the boot, if anybody has any good ideas.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

I make my own type of humus as a substitute for tuna salad or egg salad in sandwiches. All I do is cook the garbonzo beans/chick peas until they are very tender. Drain and mash them. Let them cool a little. Then add chopped onions, mayo, and black pepper to taste. Put in a container and chill until you're ready to use it.

This is really bad, but I like to dry off the firm tofu, deep fry it, and add a little salt. It gets this light crispy coating on it and tastes like fried egg whites.

Cucumber sandwiches are good too. I spead a little light cream cheese on the bread and put cucumbers on it. Can't wait for harvest season!

Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User

I'm such a virgin to most healthy-type foods. I lived a fast food childhood, and paid for it, so I'm really enjoying learning some new things. I'm definitely going to try the humus recipe, Mag, I've never had it, but it sounds good! Only problem is the protein isn't there. Maybe I should give it up and drink a soy protein shake.

I wish I could try the cucumber sandiches, sounds yummy. But raw cucumbers give me prolonged hiccups. I'm not sure my co-workers would appreciate 3 days of hiccups.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
    Magpiezoe
    Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Are you kidding about the protein? There's 12 g. of protein in 1 cup of garbonzo beans. I will admit that I do not like the store's hummus, which is why I make my own. There's 4.5 g. of protein in 2 Tbs of light cream cheese for the cucumber sandwich.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
    Datura
    (female)

Datura HB User

Eggs, nuts, legumes, have plenty of protein. Meat isn't the only source of it.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
    Demererra
    (female)

Demererra HB User

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and I don't eat fish either (don't eat anything that is sentient, personal choice). I think I have mercury poisoning, but from my amalgam fillings. I've heard that fish can also be a source of it, so is definitely worth considering not eating it. Normal testing levels for mercury doesn't necessarily mean it's not causing a problem, from what I have read from those who care about this issue and not those who are worried about liability suits.

I believe the effects of mercury poisoning are real as I have been so ill since I started having the fillings. I just never realised it could be them until recently. It's a highly toxic substance and crazy to deliberately put in the body.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User

Thanks for your input Demererra. I went vegetarian about a month ago and haven't looked back since. I am honestly loving every second of it. Had I known way back when how good I could feel with a clean, healthy diet I would have done this years ago!

Old 07-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #11
    Demererra
    (female)

Demererra HB User

That's wonderful to hear!

There is nothing to be got from meat that can't be got from other foods and vegetarians on average live longer than meat-eaters and have better sexual function

Old 07-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #12
    hgmb
    (female)

hgmb HB User

i was a vegatarian for almost 2 years, and the hardest part about it is getting enough iron. you need to be eating lots of green veggies to avoid becomeing anemic. I have been eating meat for a little over a year now and i still have a slightly low iron count. SO just be careful, and you could even check with your doctor to make sure you are getting enough iron in your diet.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:18 PM   #13
    Demererra
    (female)

Demererra HB User

There are lots of vegetarian iron supplements to buy if someone is concerned about their iron levels.

Iron can be got from a lot of foods, and some are iron-fortified these days. For example:

green vegetables
    dried fruit (raisins, dates, apricots)
    pumpkin and sunflower seeds
    basil, parsley (e.g. : basil pesto)
    lentils
    beans (baked, soybeans, black, pinto and kidney)
    split peas
    bean sprouts
    wheatgerm
    licorice
    molasses
    cashew nuts
    marmite (fortified)
    Cereals
    tofu
    potato

Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #14
    Killik
    (female)

Killik HB User

People who eat fish are NOT vegetarians and this is a well-known and proven fact. Vegetarians are people who don't eat animals are meat of any kind and that includes fish. Many people don't consider fish an animal, but anything with a nervous system, a heart and internal organs is a living being. So stop saying you're veg when you eat fish. That annoys me so much! Just voicing my opinion, so no flames!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #15
    Siddartha
    (female)

Siddartha HB User

killik, i completely agree with you. Yet, from a health standpoint, fish has a different effect on the body then other meats, especially red meat. Therefore, in terms of that, fish has sort of been allowed back into a vegetarian diet. If you are a vegetarian for moral reasons (so as not to harm the animals)... then yes... eating fish would mean you are not a vegetarian

Closed Thread