It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• I had the Stapedectomy procedure on April 3rd.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
    CamGoins
    (male)

CamGoins HB User
    I had the Stapedectomy procedure on April 3rd.

Hello All,

Hi! I just registered to the Health Board (finally) even though I've been reading all of the different thread comments since I had the Stapedectomy procedure on April 3rd. Like many of you my motivation to proceed with the surgery came from that annoying head noise that was always in my ears and sometimes drowned out what people were saying. Along with having a hearing loss of 45 db and having hearing aids that did a decent job at assisting my comprehension of speech, I opted to have the surgery largely in part of the success rate and my desire to have normal hearing again.

I wanted to get some feedback on the recovery process that you guys have experienced. I've been seeing many similarities in stories as my left ear continues to heal. I was discharged from the hospital the same day and felt the dizziness and strange taste sensations that several of you have mentioned. That subsided in about a week or so where I was able to move around and be more active. The hearing gradually came back over time so now the ear hears about equal or a bit better than the right.

The question(s) that I have for the board community is what does the hearing sound like compared to that of the un-operated ear? The operated ear receives sound well but the sound itself is a bit jaded and lacks clarity; mostly in distinguishing different sounds from one another. It's all a bit jumbled together as the ear receives it altogether. I'm about 5 weeks and some days in and I know I've heard the healing process takes anywhere from the day you get the surgery to 6 months from then, but I just want others' feedback as far as the types of gradual changes in your hearing that you've noticed over time. I'm probably the worst person to get this procedure due to my lack of patience lol but I'm eager to have some idea of what to expect in the near future.

Also, the tinnitus issue was a problem before the procedure as well, and like I mentioned before part of my initiative to go along with the process. It seems a bit louder now that the doctor removed the rest of the dry blood from out of my ear canal/eardrum. It kind of has that metal fork sound the doctor uses to test one's hearing distribution in the office. If somebody has a similar experience, did the sound eventually subside for you over time? And if not, what are ways that you coexist with the noise?

Thank You and I appreciate your effort if you took the time to read all of this lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread