It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Hearing Disorders Message Board

Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus


Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 PM   #1
MusiciansWish
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
MusiciansWish HB User
Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

Hello all! I need your help!

A week ago, I was prescribed a Tetracycline classed antibiotic called Minocycline for acne. After a week of being on it ( 50mg, two times a day) I have developed tinnitus. It's subtle. I CAN hear it when it's quiet and I can plug my ears and still hear it. It's not constant, it's on and off.

There are times where it's quiet and times where the high pitched squeal is continuously going. I searched high and low to see if this is permanent and how long it should last. I was told by the pharmacist that, even though it's not common for minocycline to induce tinnitus, it is possible...and that it CAN be permanent. My dermatologist stated that Minocycline shouldn't cause tinnitus and to stop the antibiotics.

I stopped the meds two days ago and I still am having the ringing issue. It has gotten better, it's not as constant as it was before. During the day I go hours without the squealing and at night it's usually quiet when I go to bed...

It's annoying and was wondering, has anyone had this issue and how long did it last for you?

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-28-2015, 12:06 AM   #2
Cindy89
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 127
Cindy89 HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

Hi did your ringing stop? I hope you are doing better. I have the same problem but don't know what induced it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
MusiciansWish
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
MusiciansWish HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

Yes, the ringing stopped, thank goodness. It stopped a week after I stopped the antibiotics. I'm so glad that it isn't permanent. If it was, I would've been in some serious trouble.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
dwy904
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
dwy904 HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiciansWish View Post
Yes, the ringing stopped, thank goodness. It stopped a week after I stopped the antibiotics. I'm so glad that it isn't permanent. If it was, I would've been in some serious trouble.
I has been on Minocycline (100mg twice per day) for a bit more than month like 40 days, and I started feeling ringing in ear after a month when I was on Minocycline; I stopped it right away and the ringing has been 3 weeks now and it was really loud in the beginning like the motor of a car for the first week; the noise became much lower in week_3 and it's like 'si, si, si' now. I feel much better than the motor sound; However, the low noise has not completely gone away yet and it's now the beginning of the 4th week..... Did you experience any of these ? I am so so worried....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
dwy904
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 2
dwy904 HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy89 View Post
Hi did your ringing stop? I hope you are doing better. I have the same problem but don't know what induced it
did your ringing stop ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
Sxc91
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Sxc91 HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwy904 View Post
I has been on Minocycline (100mg twice per day) for a bit more than month like 40 days, and I started feeling ringing in ear after a month when I was on Minocycline; I stopped it right away and the ringing has been 3 weeks now and it was really loud in the beginning like the motor of a car for the first week; the noise became much lower in week_3 and it's like 'si, si, si' now. I feel much better than the motor sound; However, the low noise has not completely gone away yet and it's now the beginning of the 4th week..... Did you experience any of these ? I am so so worried....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
Sxc91
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Sxc91 HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

I took Minocycline for the same period 40 days. It has been 3 weeks since I stopped and there is n change in the high pitched squeal in my ear. Did yours go away?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #8
Laugh1
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Laugh1 HB User
Re: Antibiotic Induced Tinnitus

I have had Tinnitus since mid-Nov. 2017 from Minocycline. My doctors have never heard of someone having permanent 24/7 Tinnitus (and dizziness) from Minocycline.

I also have ME/CFS and we tend to react to drugs.

Although it had steadily decreased for months, I am still left with residual Tinnitus (a LOT lower and less intense) and some dizziness (a LOT less) and no more vertigo.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Tags
acne, minocycline, ringing, tinnitus



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 AM.





2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!