It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy and loss of taste

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
    Eagleglobean
    (male)

Eagleglobean HB User
    Stapedectomy and loss of taste

Hi,
    I had my stapedectomy procedure at the end of April 2015, and it has been a nightmare I wish I could reverse. I had mild-mod loss in my R ear on the hearing tests pre-op, L ear was normal. I am now 7 wks post-op and my high pitch frequency went from mild to moderate loss, the tinnitus is constant, I have a feeling of fluid at times in my middle ear like a dripping feeling, and worst of all, I lost about 90% of my ability to taste after the surgery and it has not come back yet. I can't taste fruit at all. I would rather have had moderate hearing loss in one ear (which I still have anyway) than lost my ability to taste and enjoy eating. It has been a devastating experience and has significantly affected the quality of my life. I used to look forward to eating out with my wife alone and also with our kids at least once a week, but who wants to go out to eat when you can't taste the food? Is there anyone who had almost total loss of taste but got it back after a couple of months?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
    Rolngstn
    (female)

Rolngstn HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy and loss of taste

6 months post op and I still have loss of taste. Also when my operated ear faces a wall or car door I experience an echo that is very annoying. Have a feeling of clogging (like having water in my ear) much of the time.
    luckily horrible, horrible vertigo went away after several weeks.
    Yes I can hear well out of my ear now but don't think it was worth the side effects

Old 06-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
    DaniESY
    (female)

DaniESY HB User

I experienced loss of taste after my stapedectomy as well, but only on the side of the operated ear. It's been just over a year since the surgery, and my sense of taste still has not fully recovered. Sometimes I think I can detect certain things, like saltiness, but it may just be my imagination. It's difficult to test, since half my tongue is still receptive, and I can confuse the signals.

I would suggest giving it some time. While it may not be much of a consolation, there have been reports of people regaining their sense of taste years after the fact.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
    DaniESY
    (female)

DaniESY HB User

I realize my initial post may have been disheartening, so I will say this: Most people regain their sense of taste after 6 months or so. I was just one of the unlucky ones in that regard.

Closed Thread

Tags
    loss of taste, stapedectomy