It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• 1 week post stapedectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
    storybook
    (female)

storybook HB User
    1 week post stapedectomy

I had a stapedectomy on my right ear one week ago. I have my first follow up tomorrow. I have a large incision completely surrounding behind my ear. In fact my ear pokes out quite far...I sure hope it goes back to normal after the swelling subsides ; ) I had excruciating pain in and around my ear immediately following my surgery for about 12 hours. I didn't have dizziness or nausea...just pain. I took the pain meds (Hydrocodone) pretty much on schedule for the first 3 days. Then the pain eased (although it was only REALLY REALLY bad for the first 12 hours or so) and now the pain is only mostly there during the second half of my day. Today is the first day that the itching has subsided...yea...no one told me that I was going to be driven crazy by the itching! I went to the salon to have my hair washed...but I will do it myself next time because I can now move my head with less pain...thank goodness I have very dry hair! I'm still on R&R because I normally am very physical. All I'm doing is around the house (inside only) stuff and trying hard not to lift heavier things...that part is not easy to remember. I had constant and loud Tinnitus before the surgery and it actually seems worse now. I cannot tell anything as to if my hearing is better...I feel that the packing is keeping it very muffled. I'm anxious to find out what happens tomorrow...I do hope some packing comes out...the full and packed ear feeling gets REALLY old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
    Tmbro
    (female)

Tmbro HB User
    Re: 1 week post stapedectomy

Did you hear a motor running inside your head after surgery? It's a month tomorrow for me and I see no improvement

Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 AM   #3
    storybook
    (female)

storybook HB User

I had bad, constant tinnitus prior to surgery. After surgery for at least a month it was actually worse. But my doctor told me the surgery may not lessen the ringing but the hope was that by bringing back the hearing to the effected ear the ringing would be less noticeable. That is exactly what happened for me. I am now 3 months since surgery and I know the ringing is still there but I hardly notice it at all any more because all the sounds are now making it into that ear drowning out most of the ringing. Hang in there because if you had a quality doctor you will get significantly better...it just takes longer than you think it should...at least that was my experience. A week out of my surgery I told myself if I lost hearing in my other ear I would not do this again, it was so bad...of course I have since changed my tune...without a shadow of a doubt I would do it again.

Last edited by storybook; 09-14-2015 at 04:35 AM.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
    Tmbro
    (female)

Tmbro HB User

I don't have any ringing just sounds lijeca motor boat inside my head, hard to explain, I saw my ent today and ge said I still have about another 4 weeks of healing, I still gaveca good amount if packing that needs to disolve, very discouraging, i do feel I hear worse with my other ear even with ny hearing aid, I hope this surgery worked, I keep reading I need to give it time.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
    storybook
    (female)

storybook HB User

I had all my packing removed after one week and was very excited to get it out. I can't imagine having the packing in for a month. All I know is that the healing process seemed to take longer than I thought. Although I don't know why I thought it would heal faster because everything I read said it would take time.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #6
    Tmbro
    (female)

Tmbro HB User

Yeah I read it will take time too, I thought it would be sooner that is why I came on here to talk about it with others, I wish my packing were taken out but for some reason he used one that self dissolves over time, thanks so much for sharing you success I hope I can too one day.,

Closed Thread