It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy Surgery 5 day report

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
    mochosla11
    (male)

mochosla11 HB User
    Stapedectomy Surgery 5 day report

Hi Everybody. First of all, thank you all for your reports. They have made me realize that A, most of my post opt symptoms are normal and B, I HAVE to relax and give it time. I had 60% hearing on my right ear and still have about 25% on the left ear.

So, I had my surgery on Monday November 23rd at around 1:00 PM. I have not been under full anesthesia since I was 11 when I had to have emergency appendicitis surgery due to swallowing an air riffle pellet (don't ask. I was a kid= stupid). It is quite an experience to go under and wake up after a surgery realizing everything they did to you and you are completely at their mercy and helpless. In a any case, I woke up about 3 hours later with a horrible pain in right ear. I could see the Dr. talking to my wife and I wanted to talk to him but he ignored me. I can't blame him. My wife says I was babbling and not being coherent. I wonder why :-). After a few minutes, the nurse made me eat some crackers which I had difficulty swallowing due to dry mouth so I asked for some water. Once I did that, the nurse gave me pain medication. I must say, that was the only time I felt pain that I needed medication for. I did take more pain medication for 2 days but I had zero pain. I discontinued it and I was fine. Going back to waking up, I was able to hear better already and I get pretty exited. Wife drove me home and was hearing sounds I had not heard in a long time. Not even with my hearing aids. I did notice a loss of taste on my tongue and a bit dizzy but I attribute it to the anesthesia. I woke up on Tuesday and noticed that my hearing had decreased and crackling noises starting to happen. The day went by with hearing increasing and decreasing throughout the day and into Wednesday. Thursday, I woke up with fairly clear hearing and got very excited. Unfortunately, as the day progressed, my ear went back to being all plugged up and hearing went back to not so good. Another issue that I noticed was that my left ear got plugged up as well. I'm not sure if this is normal but it is very annoying as having both earls plugged makes you feel like you are speaking inside a bucket. This issue comes and goes and is probably the worst side-effect of the surgery so far. So, Thursday I went to my Niece's to celebrate Thanksgiving and I'm saying high to the family, I bumped my ear into my sister's head when I went to kiss her on her chick. Needless to say, I was freaking out and EXTREMELY concerned that I had damaged something. It all seems to be normal though. I had a rough Friday as my hearing seemed to get worse. Funny thing is, I can tell that my hearing is better. However, it is muffled and now there is this constant white silence sound in my ear that blocks the rest of the sounds from being clear. Does it make sense? Like I said, I can tell I hear better. I close my bedroom door and it is loud, I walk by the microwave and I can hear it etc. Today, my left ear is plugged up again and that is very frustrating. I'm taking Zyrtec and hope that will clear it up.

I know that aside from the other ear getting plugged up, the rest of my post op experience is all normal and in many cases MUCH better than what a lot of you had to go through with the dizziness and vomiting etc. But as you all know as well, any and all changes that I'm experiencing receive a lot of attention. In the end, we all have to live with the results of this operation for the rest of our lives.

I have my follow up appointment this Monday and hope to confirm that these are all normal symptoms and that I'm recovering well etc. BTW, I do not think I have any stuffing in my ear as it feel normal inside. No pressure, pain etc. I do believe that there may be some dried out blood that the Dr. will need to clean. If that is the case, I'm sure it will help increase my hearing.

Thank you for reading and stay tuned. I will post a follow up update in a few days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
    mochosla11
    (male)

mochosla11 HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy Surgery 5 day report

Hi, I have continued to improve and for the past two days, my hearing has gotten even better. Aside from some of the noises I have in my ear, everything else is great. The noise that is the most annoying is my heartbeat that sounds like air being pumped through something. It is weird but manageable. I had been having some pain in my ear for the past two days but when I saw the Dr. today, it turned out that I had all this stuff in my ear up against my eardrum and that was causing the pain. After he cleaned that gunk out I was fine and able to hear even better. I still have to take it easy for a week but after that, the Dr. said I can resume normal activity with a few things I can't do.

Overall, I'm very happy with my surgery and as soon as the left ear gets worse, I will have that one fixed.

Good luck to you all.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
    Blue Princess
    (female)

Blue Princess HB User

How's everything now?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
    Cainmurphy
    (male)

Cainmurphy HB User

Hello I had mine done 2 days ago and my ear is very blocked at the moment and hearing is limited also have discharge coming form ear is that normal?

Reply Reply