It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy help please

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #1
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User
    Stapedectomy help please

Hello all, just joined this health board as i think i've just about read everything on the internet and are no further on. Can somebody please let me know if my symptoms are normal please.
    I was virtually deaf in one ear and very little hearing in the other ear, have worn hearing aids for 25 years. Recently (all happened so quickly, within 6 weeks) got diagnosed with Otosclerosis in both ears. 6 weeks after seeing doctor, i had the op. I had a stapedectomy/stapedotomy on 04/01/2016. Noticed a faint improvement in hearing when lying on the ward after the op, could faintly hear trolleys being moved about. But nothing drastic...... I've had dizziness, (not room spinning dizzyness) which now only remains if i read, do jigsaws, scan shop shelves from side to side etc, weird! I've been through the heart pulsating, creaking, the rain dripping onto a metal plate sound etc.
    I've had no real explanation of what to expect, i didn't really ask the surgeon any questions as i wasn't sure what would happen after and was unaware i'd have so many unanswered questions come up.
    I assumed, and read some on the internet, and was told by a friend who'd had it done, that once the packing was removed, i'd be able to hear. Had packing removed 6 days ago, i'd built myself up SO much, that i stood and sobbed when i still couldn't hear! Surgeon looked a bit puzzled, but he said he wasn't worried at this point and to see him again in 6 weeks and that it'd be fluid behind my ear. He said i need to have some popping before i'll hear.
    So, here i am now, with no change in my hearing for the last 6 days. I'm sure when i swallow, i sound as if fluid is in there? I also get like a thunder noise mainly in the morning when i wake up and my throat moves. But what's worrying me most after reading up on the internet again, is when i put headphones on, i can hear the music, (have to have it on loud to hear it), but the loud thumps/beats in the music make my ear crackle like a loose wire on a radio. I read last night that this is because the op hasn't worked and the prostesis needs tightening/shortening/revising. But then on the other hand i've read that this may be normal??
    If i go to do a burp movement when i have music in the headphones, i get a milli second of a loud noise, but then it goes again as my throat can't seem to hold the noise open if you get what i mean. I have soooo many questions but don't want to bore you with them, maybe later. So, should i be hearing by now, is the crackling loose wire sound normal, and if you have any other advice that might stop me worrying please. I'm just sitting waiting day by day thinking today might be the day that i hear......but it never comes :-( Thank you.

Last edited by Sandra J; 01-28-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
    Malstann
    (male)

Malstann HB User
    Talking Re: Stapedectomy help please

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandra J View Post
    Hello all, just joined this health board as i think i've just about read everything on the internet and are no further on. Can somebody please let me know if my symptoms are normal please.
    I was virtually deaf in one ear and very little hearing in the other ear, have worn hearing aids for 25 years. Recently (all happened so quickly, within 6 weeks) got diagnosed with Otosclerosis in both ears. 6 weeks after seeing doctor, i had the op. I had a stapedectomy/stapedotomy on 04/01/2016. Noticed a faint improvement in hearing when lying on the ward after the op, could faintly hear trolleys being moved about. But nothing drastic...... I've had dizziness, (not room spinning dizzyness) which now only remains if i read, do jigsaws, scan shop shelves from side to side etc, weird! I've been through the heart pulsating, creaking, the rain dripping onto a metal plate sound etc.
    I've had no real explanation of what to expect, i didn't really ask the surgeon any questions as i wasn't sure what would happen after and was unaware i'd have so many unanswered questions come up.
    I assumed, and read some on the internet, and was told by a friend who'd had it done, that once the packing was removed, i'd be able to hear. Had packing removed 6 days ago, i'd built myself up SO much, that i stood and sobbed when i still couldn't hear! Surgeon looked a bit puzzled, but he said he wasn't worried at this point and to see him again in 6 weeks and that it'd be fluid behind my ear. He said i need to have some popping before i'll hear.
    So, here i am now, with no change in my hearing for the last 6 days. I'm sure when i swallow, i sound as if fluid is in there? I also get like a thunder noise mainly in the morning when i wake up and my throat moves. But what's worrying me most after reading up on the internet again, is when i put headphones on, i can hear the music, (have to have it on loud to hear it), but the loud thumps/beats in the music make my ear crackle like a loose wire on a radio. I read last night that this is because the op hasn't worked and the prostesis needs tightening/shortening/revising. But then on the other hand i've read that this may be normal??
    If i go to do a burp movement when i have music in the headphones, i get a milli second of a loud noise, but then it goes again as my throat can't seem to hold the noise open if you get what i mean. I have soooo many questions but don't want to bore you with them, maybe later. So, should i be hearing by now, is the crackling loose wire sound normal, and if you have any other advice that might stop me worrying please. I'm just sitting waiting day by day thinking today might be the day that i hear......but it never comes :-( Thank you.
    Hi Sandra,
    My first visit back in many years and I read your oh so familiar tale.
    5 years ago for me, Yep my surgeon gave me no indication of what to expect either. I suppose how could he, he hasn't the condition or given himself the op....

Cheer up it's good news, promise. I know, maybe not for me though you're thinking that's what I thought too.
    I had my right ear done, if you search my old posts you'll see my diary over the days, weeks and months. Sounds like you skipped the vertigo, well done. It's truly awful days of spinning and wobbling, like being drunk without the benefits....I had no eureka and no real improvement just crackles pops whooshing.... for what seemed like ages much longer than other people.
    Slowly it'll improve and I mean slowly. You can't watch the hands of the clock waiting for something, I did unfortunately and got very very bored. After 2-3 months that's when I really felt all round better. 6 months as advised you're there all healed and as good as you're going to get. So I hear a lot better not perfectly but definitely a lot better. Think my tinnitus got a little worse in that ear as a result... Oddly conversation in noisy environments like pubs was awkward for quite a while years even but again that's not a problem either now. Found it hard to differentiate against the other conversations around me.
    Truly early days and you've struck gold, people who've been there seen it done it, worried themselves crazy and finally got the tour jacket... you'll be pleased you did it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Malstann For This Useful Post:
    Sandra J (01-31-2016)
    Old 01-31-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User
    Re: Stapedectomy help please

Thank you for the reply Malstann.
    Day 28 (and yes, i'm still counting :-) ). Still NO change whatsoever. Keep getting woke up in the night by big 'bangs' in my ear, but it seems to come from moving my throat some how in the night, or even just moving at times. Been off work for 4 weeks now, have another one week off. I was so expecting AND hoping that i'd be hearing when i went back to work, but doesn't look like it. Could be awkward :-/
    I'm just scared that once i get my hearing back in my right ear, and then have my left one done, that one day i'll just go deaf in them both when i'm out and about and be left totally deaf, would be awful. I've read on other boards that the deafness can and does happen all of a sudden.
    Each morning i get up and ask if this is going to be THE day still, but alas, it's not happened yet :-/

Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Just been reading up on your other posts. I have the situation where my unoperated ear feels stuffed up. I've had to turn my hearing aid up on that ear but everything gets distorted. I see others saying the same, that their unoperated ear is worse, but i don't think it is, it's the fact that you've 'lost' an ear for now, i always say you need TWO ears to hear properly and i find because you've lost one, that is why your other ear feels worse, but it's actually not.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 PM   #5
    Malstann
    (male)

Malstann HB User

Hi, It's no fun is it... the waiting game. I kept reading about people back to work after a few weeks with little side effects thinking uh-oh that's not me.
    I had 6 months off in the end I couldn't work for 3 truly. Noisy environments we're awful as I was saying. My friends dad wore ear muffs for weeks because he was so sensitive. My head was totally mixed up with re-adjusting to the prosthesis. Yep because of the swelling my un-operated ear wasn't great either.
    I know of the virus you mentioned and lost hearing in an ear. We're the lucky ones and we're able to have an op. Sure there's a day to day risk.. called life isn't it... could get swashed by a meteorite walking to Mac Donalds for a big mac. Good therapy btw not being hit by a meteor, junk food...

Cheer up it's a month old it's only going to get better were as left alone probably only going to get worse, mine was. Another 2 months that's 60 days you'll be more or less over it and able to think of other things. As for today be selfish if your not ready for work tell'em. Sure they'll grown but it's your health nothing matters more at this time. I'm sure they're jobs round the house to do or get in touch with an old friend or two. I'd had some nice visits and plenty of good books lent... still got a few must give them back...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 AM   #6
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.....well it is for me anyway :-) ....There's some sound in my ear!! Very faint, coming and going, mainly when i play loud music, also when things 'clang' like plates crashing together, can't hear voices or tv yet though, but it's there!! Just gotta be patient ha!.....

Old 02-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #7
    Malstann
    (male)

Malstann HB User

Yippee, there we go congratulations....
    Yepp it's a long wait, sounds like it's settling down at last.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #8
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malstann View Post
    Yippee, there we go congratulations....
    Yepp it's a long wait, sounds like it's settling down at last.
    Give up today! Really starting to think it's not going to work for me. 30 days in, and I'm still not hearing. Surely fluid doesn't take that long to dry up. I don't think I've read anybody else's taking that long to hear. Plus I can't hear the sounds today that I heard yesterday. Really down in the dumps now.

Last edited by Sandra J; 02-03-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #9
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Surgeon started me on steroids yesterday. No difference yet.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Quote:
    Surgeon started me on steroids yesterday. No difference yet.
    Had a revision done three days ago, piston too tight and fluid leaking which is why I felt so bad for seven weeks. Nothing feels any different now other than I have no dizziness. Not holding out any hopes of hearing any better this time than last, loudness just doesn't seem to be there at all. And at the mo I have gone way backwards from using hearing aids. A lot has to change for me to have made the ops worthwhile :-/

Last edited by Sandra J; 02-21-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 AM   #11
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Quote:
    Had a revision done three days ago, piston too tight and fluid leaking which is why I felt so bad for seven weeks. Nothing feels any different now other than I have no dizziness. Not holding out any hopes of hearing any better this time than last, loudness just doesn't seem to be there at all. And at the mo I have gone way backwards from using hearing aids. A lot has to change for me to have made the ops worthwhile :-/
    Just had my packing removed after a revision just over two weeks ago. I'm one of them, including first time round too, that didn't hear any better after packing was removed again! I've not been fortunate enough to have had the loud voices that people mention either. I had revision 16 days ago, I can hear close up but muffled, no clear voices, I can't hear tv, or conversations. Haven't had any crackles or pops yet, which apparently I should get before my hearing becomes clear. All I can say is I'm disappointed with the results so far, after being off work now for 10 weeks , after suffering dizziness, lethargy, generally ill feeling. I've been told it'll still be the swelling etc that's stopping me hearing, so we'll see.I just don't see me hearing any better or louder or clearer! Constantly waiting for that 'deafening' hearing I keep reading about :-(

Reply Reply