It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Had my stapedectomy please help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
    Dannyjpuk
    (male)

Dannyjpuk HB User
    Had my stapedectomy please help

Hello this is my first post....

I had a stapedectomy about a month ago now, it wasn't as straight forward as i would have hoped , I could hear very well right after the operation my doctor said that my hearing will dull as the blood will clot etc i was in hospital for four days I was so dizzy I kept being sick it was horrible I could hardly move without being sick I had my dressing took out my ear a week ago ( 2 weeks after op) I was very disappointed with my hearing as it was very dull my doctor advised me to come back in 4 weeks time since my packing has been out I'm suffering from high pitched noises in the operated ear it's still very dull is this normal is my ear just adjusting ? It's worrying me as others have said they could hear right away, my balance is still off ever so slightly I caught a viral infection which affected my nerves down the left side of my face ( operated side ) I was given tablets for this a week later now and this has now cleared up its just this ringing high pitched noises I'm hoping someone can help it's horrible I feel so alone

Last edited by Dannyjpuk; 03-02-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User
    Re: Had my stapedectomy please help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyjpuk View Post
    Hello this is my first post....

I had a stapedectomy about a month ago now, it wasn't as straight forward as i would have hoped , I could hear very well right after the operation my doctor said that my hearing will dull as the blood will clot etc i was in hospital for four days I was so dizzy I kept being sick it was horrible I could hardly move without being sick I had my dressing took out my ear a week ago ( 2 weeks after op) I was very disappointed with my hearing as it was very dull my doctor advised me to come back in 4 weeks time since my packing has been out I'm suffering from high pitched noises in the operated ear it's still very dull is this normal is my ear just adjusting ? It's worrying me as others have said they could hear right away, my balance is still off ever so slightly I caught a viral infection which affected my nerves down the left side of my face ( operated side ) I was given tablets for this a week later now and this has now cleared up its just this ringing high pitched noises I'm hoping someone can help it's horrible I feel so alone
    Sorry can't directly help you, but I had a failed stapedectomy 4th Jan 16. Seven weeks later had a revision. Just had my packing removed and I'm one of them, including first time round too, that didn't hear any better after packing was removed. I've not been fortunate enough to have had the loud voices that people mention either. I had revision 16 days ago, I can hear close up but muffled, no clear voices, I can't hear tv, or conversations. Haven't had any crackles or pops yet, which apparently I should get before my hearing becomes clear. All I can say is I'm disappointed with the results so far, after being off work now for 10 weeks. I've been told it'll still be the swelling etc that's stopping me hearing, so we'll see.I know how you feel when you say you feel so alone. I've felt that for weeks. I do hope you get to hear soon.

Last edited by Sandra J; 03-07-2016 at 05:37 AM.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
    Dannyjpuk
    (male)

Dannyjpuk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandra J View Post
    Sorry can't directly help you, but I had a failed stapedectomy 4th Jan 16. Seven weeks later had a revision. Just had my packing removed and I'm one of them, including first time round too, that didn't hear any better after packing was removed. I've not been fortunate enough to have had the loud voices that people mention either. I had revision 16 days ago, I can hear close up but muffled, no clear voices, I can't hear tv, or conversations. Haven't had any crackles or pops yet, which apparently I should get before my hearing becomes clear. All I can say is I'm disappointed with the results so far, after being off work now for 10 weeks. I've been told it'll still be the swelling etc that's stopping me hearing, so we'll see.I know how you feel when you say you feel so alone. I've felt that for weeks. I do hope you get to hear soon.
    Hello how are you doing ?

I see my doctor in 3 weeks time now I'm hoping he will go back in and see if the piston has moved everything is still dull I would say my hearing is worse.
    I can only hear if you speak right into my ear I got a fright as I tried to listen to headphones ( ones that go in your ear ) and nothing! So I tried my hearing aid also Nothing so that's rather worrying I just keep having this tinnitus and a weird bionic high pitched sound.
    If I had of know it would be like this and the way i was after the operation I doubt I would have went a head with it BUT with me having that disease where my bones fuse together surgery is the only way ?
    It's just getting me down I can't focus on anything and it's really getting me down I know it sounds daft but I just want to be able to watch a movie and enjoy it for years I have just not been able to focus mainly because I can't hear it well I can but that's as far as it goes it's like the sounds reach my ear but I can't make out what was said.
    How was your journey in all this?

Last edited by Dannyjpuk; 03-08-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dannyjpuk View Post
    Hello how are you doing ?

I see my doctor in 3 weeks time now I'm hoping he will go back in and see if the piston has moved everything is still dull I would say my hearing is worse.
    I can only hear if you speak right into my ear I got a fright as I tried to listen to headphones ( ones that go in your ear ) and nothing! So I tried my hearing aid also Nothing so that's rather worrying I just keep having this tinnitus and a weird bionic high pitched sound.
    If I had of know it would be like this and the way i was after the operation I doubt I would have went a head with it BUT with me having that disease where my bones fuse together surgery is the only way ?
    It's just getting me down I can't focus on anything and it's really getting me down I know it sounds daft but I just want to be able to watch a movie and enjoy it for years I have just not been able to focus mainly because I can't hear it well I can but that's as far as it goes it's like the sounds reach my ear but I can't make out what was said.
    How was your journey in all this?
    You are still early days yet. I think i've read just about every post on the internet about stapedectomy and no two seem the same. You will still have swelling and fluid which is probably stopping you hearing. I'm just over two weeks from my revision and am worried as i haven't had the bionic hearing they all talk about. I've had an awful 10 weeks with it, dizziness, lethargy, weird head, thoughts etc. Every single day and every single moment is consumed by my ear. I'm waiting for anything to change, nothing has since i had it redone. All you ever hear from people is be patient, but that doesn't help when it's yourself going through it does it. I'm sure i'm one of the doomed ones that won't hear properly, but then you read something that says they heard months after, so i haven't got a clue at the mo. My surgeon says it willbe fluid and swelling and that my hearing will improve over the next 6 weeks......i do hope so. I've been through all the creaks, bangs, knocks, hissing, heart beat noises. At the mo they've all gone so that's good. Please don't worry, i'm sure your hearing will improve over time, please keep us updated. :-)

Old 03-24-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
    Dannyjpuk
    (male)

Dannyjpuk HB User

Well it's been 7 weeks now since my stapedectomy, I seen my doctor today and my ear is still red and healing ( after all this time still?) My hearing is still very dull I'd say it's worse than before.
    When I was there he placed a headset on my head and I could hear fine with out my other hearing aid it was nice to be able to hear BUT in order for that to be the case he said they are bone anchored hearing aids something I'm not keen on , the whole reason for my stapedectomy was to not wear my aids anyways I have to go back in another 6 weeks
    I'm hearing bionic high pitched noises at night but my hearing is still dull I hope it improves

Old 05-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Well mine isn't working either :-/ Originally done jan 4th, and redone mid feb. All i have is the loud clashing plates and closing door sounds and muffled voices. If i take my other hearing aid out i can't function properly. I've gone through the 2 weeks of waiting until i had my packing removed, then 6 weeks of waiting having to take gaviscon (apparently according to google, it's a decongestant)....weeks inbetween just waiting for appointments, and my latest one is that my tubes are still inflamed and i'm booked in next monday for a steroid injection through my eardrum! I've also had 2 weeks of putting steroids up my nose! Just SO jealous of all these people that get hearing after a matter of weeks........it's been an emotional rollercoaster for me. I do hope you manage to get sorted.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

AND, i've had a loud clicking, like a geiger counter, in my ear for 6 weeks, driving me potty night and day. Plus i get a 'broken speaker' sound when i hear any louder noises, and i have a banging which sounds like something banging against my eardrum, whenever i yawn or belch, or when i first wake up in the morning and move my neck.

Reply Reply