It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Pain after stapedectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #1
    Shellyscott
    (female)

Shellyscott HB User
    Pain after stapedectomy

I had a stapedectomy on my right ear 6 days ago. I have had a lot of the usual post op issues, dizziness, loss of taste, heartbeat in ear etc. However I am finding that I'm experiencing more pain than I had anticipated. Sometimes it's a short stabbing pain and the rest of the time it's a dull pain - like if you put a cotton bud in too deep. But it's almost constant. Also hurts like hell if I yawn and sometimes when I swallow. I've spoken to my doctor who has given me more pain meds, and I don't see the surgeon for another week. Has anyone else had anything like this? I've been changing the cotton wool twice daily and it always has blood on it. Any advice would be greatly received xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User
    Re: Pain after stapedectomy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shellyscott View Post
    I had a stapedectomy on my right ear 6 days ago. I have had a lot of the usual post op issues, dizziness, loss of taste, heartbeat in ear etc. However I am finding that I'm experiencing more pain than I had anticipated. Sometimes it's a short stabbing pain and the rest of the time it's a dull pain - like if you put a cotton bud in too deep. But it's almost constant. Also hurts like hell if I yawn and sometimes when I swallow. I've spoken to my doctor who has given me more pain meds, and I don't see the surgeon for another week. Has anyone else had anything like this? I've been changing the cotton wool twice daily and it always has blood on it. Any advice would be greatly received xxx
    Hi, I had a stapedectomy done in january and then had to have a revision just over two weeks ago. I had no pain whatsoever with my first, but had plenty with my revision. The pain lasted 2 weeks, it started to go a few days ago. I also had face swelling by my ear and told the surgeon about that too and he said both were quite normal.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
    Shellyscott
    (female)

Shellyscott HB User

Thanks for the reply. I really wasn't prepared for the pain during recovery. To be honest the surgeon didn't go through much of anything with me. When I was coming round from the anaesthesia he said that the disease was worse than he had originally thought and that they had to a lot more invasive scraping around and drilling than usual so the pain would be worse. But he didn't go through hardly any of the post op expectations, I've had to find all that out from my own research. Just hope it all starts to settle down soon!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
    Shellyscott
    (female)

Shellyscott HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sandra J View Post
    Hi, I had a stapedectomy done in january and then had to have a revision just over two weeks ago. I had no pain whatsoever with my first, but had plenty with my revision. The pain lasted 2 weeks, it started to go a few days ago. I also had face swelling by my ear and told the surgeon about that too and he said both were quite normal.
    I forgot to ask, I've been changing the cotton wool in my ear a couple of times a day, and even after a week it's still bleeding quite a bit, is this normal? X

Old 03-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
    Sandra J
    (female)

Sandra J HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shellyscott View Post
    I forgot to ask, I've been changing the cotton wool in my ear a couple of times a day, and even after a week it's still bleeding quite a bit, is this normal? X
    . All that I have found out, I've got from the internet. I too didn't get much info about what I was having done and after effects. I just didn't realize I'd have so many questions about the after effects. I had slight discharge on cotton wool, but only for a few days.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
    Blue Princess
    (female)

Blue Princess HB User

I had my laser stapedectomy done two days ago. I'm having a metallic taste on one side of the tongue. I am a little tired still. My neck was hurting after the surgery and the nurse said it might be because the way they put my head during the surgery. Has anyone experienced that? Today I was laughing hard while watching something funny with my sons and talked very loudly too. I felt some type of discomfort right after that. Does anyone know whether I shouldn't be talking or laughing much during this time. I am also invited to large party tomorrow at a friend's house. Wondering if I should skip it. Maybe I should try to lie down on bed most of the time?
    Although my nurse practitioner said I can drive now and go back to work on Monday, I am having a light-headedness and staying home. I have very little pain which comes and goes. It's mostly a fullness feeling and sometimes hurts in the throat when I swallow.

Reply Reply