It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• HELP! Weird hearing loss, weird symptoms

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
    MaddyGL
    (female)

MaddyGL HB User
    HELP! Weird hearing loss, weird symptoms

In the spring of 2015, I noticed that there was a constant ringing in my right ear. Around June, I got in with an ENT, who referred me to an audiologist, who diagnosed me with hearing loss. Progressively, the hearing loss has gotten worse. I am only 15 years old, so to me, this seems quite uncommon.

In the fall of 2015, I noticed a constant ringing in my left ear, as well as my right. I checked with my audiologist, and I had a mild hearing loss in my left ear, and a moderate/major hearing loss in my right.

I have also been having these dizzy spells that I like to call "flares", for the past year or so. During these "flares", I get extreme vertigo, fullness in my ear, and obnoxiously loud ringing in my ear. These attacks normally happen in only one ear at a time.

On top of all of this, I have been dealing with joint pain, fatigue, and muscle pain. My memory has gotten awful, and I like I'm in a brain fog all the time. My mom has lupus, so we are thinking it could be autoimmune.

My rhuematologist, ENT, and general doctor sent me for blood work, and my ANA was positive, along with my heat shock protein. The auto acoustic emission test my audiologist did came out normal!!!!! This is all so confusing!

Does anyone advice, suggestions, or personal experiences they'd like to share? I have no idea what to do! I am on 500 mg of naproxen and tumeric for my joint pain/inflammation, and a bunch of natural supplements in hopes of feeling a little bit better.

My ENT doesn't believe me, and told me he thinks its a mental problem, and that I'm talking myself into having hearing loss. I don't even know what to think of that!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!! PLEASE HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: HELP! Weird hearing loss, weird symptoms

Maddy, I would do some research into ENTs in your area who deal with autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss. Your elevated heat shock protein is consistent with autoimmune inner ear disease. You need an ENT who will take this seriously, work closely with your rheum, and get you on some more aggressive treatment. You might check into your local University Hospital Clinics for someone is up on these problems. This type of hearing loss can progress rapidly, so time is of the essence. It is ridiculous and dismissive for your ENT to suggest this is mental, and I would not see him again, just get your records to share with your next Dr. Good luck-I hope you get the help you need and deserve from someone knowledgeable and compassionate.

Reply Reply