It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Dislodged staple prosthesis after blowing nose?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
    Ears13
    (female)

Ears13 HB User
    Dislodged staple prosthesis after blowing nose?

Hi there I had a stapedectomy on my right ear 3 weeks ago and I am wondering if anyone knows if you can dislodge the prosthesis from blowing your nose...
    On day 8 (post op) I completely forgot about the at home care instructions and blew my nose gently. Ever since then I've heard a crackling in my operated ear every time I swallow or yawn. It sounds like the noise a broken speaker makes, when it has a loose wire, and I am so worried I have dislodged the prosthesis. My hearing is coming back and I am not experiencing any dizziness or pain, though this loud noise is worrying me. I know it's common to sometimes experience crackling due to fluid behind the ear, but this came on straight after I blew my nose. Has anyone committed the terrible sin of blowing their nose?!? And Can you dislodge the prosthesis without losing hearing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #2
    Msweisfort
    (female)

Msweisfort HB User
    Re: Dislodged staple prosthesis after blowing nose?

How did you make out after blowing your nose? I accidentally did the same thing on day 11 and had the same symptoms. I called the dr and they told me to come in if I actually lost hearing or had any fluids leaking. Please reply and let me know how your ear healed.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 AM   #3
    Ears13
    (female)

Ears13 HB User

Hi there,
    It's been 4 months since I started experience the crackling and unfortunately it hasn't gone away. My hearing hasn't dropped but I still have the crackling every time I swallow. I had a CT scan to see if I have dislodged the prothesis but it showed it was still in the right position. I'm going back to my ENT this month as I am at a loss to explain what this noise is. It sounds like I am moving the prothesis in my ear every time I swallow. I'll keep you updated on what my ENT says, and please do the same!
    Thanks

Old 02-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
    Roosmom
    (female)

Roosmom HB User

Ears13 any updates? I'm 10 days post op, have many of the same symptoms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ears13 View Post
    Hi there,
    It's been 4 months since I started experience the crackling and unfortunately it hasn't gone away. My hearing hasn't dropped but I still have the crackling every time I swallow. I had a CT scan to see if I have dislodged the prothesis but it showed it was still in the right position. I'm going back to my ENT this month as I am at a loss to explain what this noise is. It sounds like I am moving the prothesis in my ear every time I swallow. I'll keep you updated on what my ENT says, and please do the same!
    Thanks

Last edited by Roosmom; 02-20-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    otosclerosis, stapedectomy