It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Stapedectomy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
    Graciedober
    (female)

Graciedober HB User
    Stapedectomy

Hi all,

This is my first post. Had my surgery on Friday, Jan 13, 2016. Surgery took 2 1/2 hours at John's Hopkins Outpatient in Baltimore, MD. My hearing in right ear had been getting worse for 25 yrs. Left ear is good so I did not have the surgery back then. Recently the ringing has gotten worse, so my reason for getting it done now.

There were about 10 people in the operating room, felt like I walked into a party. JH was great, love the nurses there!!

Surgeon said everything went great and that it was a good thing I had it done now because later down the road it would cause more problems for me.

After surgery, I immediately began throwing up like crazy. One of the nurses asked if I didn't do rides well. I told her definitely not. So maybe that is why I had problems more so than others.

First few days are a blur, slept about 20 hours a day because of being so dizzy. Oxy was helping me to sleep through it. Finally the oxy started giving me some really weird dreams so I switched to Tylenol, which was worthless.

I'm on day nine now and my main complaint is the dizziness. So bad still, can't really do much at all without getting that sick feeling over and over again. Hopefully this will soon go away. As far as the pain, it never really got above 4. They have you do the scale thing 1-10. Wednesday I went back and she took two big pieces of packing out and said everything looked fine and the dizziness was normal. I was given a prescription for drops ($300+to the insurance) and told they would dissolve the rest of the packing.

So now I'm trying to patiently wait for the dizziness to go away.

Next month, February 13, hubby goes back to same hospital and doctor for a Cochlear implant. Doctor said it should be even worse than my dizziness. At least I will know what it is like to maybe help him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply