It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Blockage? ETD?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
    Jacktorrance
    (male)

Jacktorrance HB User
    Blockage? ETD?

Hello all,

10 weeks ago I developed a perforated ear drum in my left ear. This hasnít healed by itself and will likely require surgery. Hearing hasnít been affected.

Last week I was in Malaysia in a very hot and humid climate. I felt a wax build up in my non-perforated, right ear. I (stupidly) used a cotton bud to try and clear it out but blocked it completely. The hearing reduced immediately.

I used olive oil to try and remove the wax and, on my penultimate day in Malaysia, bought some drops to clear the wax. The ear was still blocked when I boarded the first of 2 flights back to the UK.

2 days after arriving home and using the drops all of the wax came out of the right ear but I still experienced the hearing loss along with some pretty significant tinnitus.

Itís now 5 days later and no recovery of the hearing or tinnitus. If I stretch my ear lobe out I hear better and when using headphones I hear perfectly in both ears.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I wondered whether it might be Eustachian Tube Dysfunction or Middle Ear Effusion - Iím taking decongestant pills but theyíre not having any effect.

I have an ENT consultation booked but itís 8 weeks away and Iím concerned that irrevocable hearing damage might occur if I donít do something before.

Thanks all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply