It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• strange popping and crackling/scratching in left ear

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
    stayouttamalibu

stayouttamalibu HB User
    strange popping and crackling/scratching in left ear

just in the last week or two, i have developed a problem in only my left ear. you know the motion you go through when you wiggle your ears? flexing whatever muscles it is, im not sure, but either way, when i do that, and i hold it for a second or two, there is this scratching/static sound and sometimes popping also. interestingly enough, it only seems to do it right after i wake up, as if it doesnt do it when i have been active, only when ive been lying still for a prolonged period of time. sometimes there is popping, but every time i do that motion, it makes this scratching noise. now starting 2 days ago, the popping started happening even when i wasnt trying to wiggle my ears. here and there throughout the day the popping noises would just happen, usually a few times in a row, with maybe a second or two in between. its very strange...any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 05:20 AM   #2
    paintitbetter

paintitbetter HB User
    Re: strange popping and crackling/scratching in left ear

I get that snap crackle pop sound while flexing my ear muscles or when I move my head. This seems to be related to my TMJD. I have been wearing a splint to correct my jaw position for over two years now. My TMJ doctor tells me the crackling noises I experience, may be arthritis setting in the jaw joint. I also get popping, thudding, tinnitus, and fullness.
    Mark

Old 11-25-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
    stayouttamalibu

stayouttamalibu HB User
    Re: strange popping and crackling/scratching in left ear

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paintitbetter
    I get that snap crackle pop sound while flexing my ear muscles or when I move my head. This seems to be related to my TMJD. I have been wearing a splint to correct my jaw position for over two years now. My TMJ doctor tells me the crackling noises I experience, may be arthritis setting in the jaw joint. I also get popping, thudding, tinnitus, and fullness.
    Mark

what is TMJ? and also, its only in my left ear. would that still be a possibility if its not in both ears?

Last edited by stayouttamalibu; 11-25-2003 at 04:25 PM.

Closed Thread