It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Eustachian tube dysfunction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
    dossantos

dossantos HB User
    Eustachian tube dysfunction

Hello everyone,

I have had etd for over 2 1/2 years and searching for answers everyday, but I may have stumbled onto the cause. It started when I was on an airplane and experienced pain. I went home and just assumed that everything would return to normal, however, it never subsided. My symptoms were pain and pressure in ears and head, dizziness, vertigo, strange vision like I'm looking through a heatwave, my pupils pulse and many more. My life went from promising to a constant struggle. I've been through many theories and medications and never had any results. I've been told I had meneire's, etd, and took nasal steroids, diuretics, every decongestant medication and method out there and never had any results. I began allergy testing of late and I'm very allergic to molds such as trichophyton, rhodotula, bermuda grass smut, etc. I believe this is the cause of my problem and hope someone benefits from this information b/c I searched for a post like this for a long time. I'm not sure this is anyone's answer but it's worth a shot.

dossantos

Last edited by moderator2; 03-07-2004 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
    PinkBananaz

PinkBananaz HB User
    Re: Eustachian tube dysfunction

I feel your pain. I have what I would consider severe ETD for 2 years now. Meaning it can be extremely dibilitating at times..sometimes when it goes down into my throat, I can't eat or drink or take my meds. Throat infections have become dangerous, they almost always leave me dehydrated from not being able 2 swallow anything & have 2 have meds injected. The swelling from my ET goes into my ears nose & throat..can be quite painful. Have found that Flonase & Clarinex make life alittle easier and livable..keep me from being completely out all the time. But I constantly have sinus pressure, congestion, sneezing, ear pain & pressure, throat pain & swelling..in varying degrees from day 2 day. When I get sick the tube will swell up so bad that I can't bend my neck the opposite direction of the infection. Even a simple cold leaves me dizzy for days..I know i've got some nasty & severe allergies(i've figured out a few from process of elimination/guess & check) but I can't be tested due 2 my horrible skin allergies. In the past year I also developed asthma. I've been meaning 2 ask my doctor about seeing an ENT or get a CT scan b/c i'm positive there just has 2 be some kind of blockage..I mean I can't take all the meds out there & there still be problems! Though there are 2 left i'm gonna try..also considering sinuneb..& if those don't work i'm gonna consider surgery...but yeah I prolly shoudl eb seeing an ENT or an allergist..I jsut feel like they won't take me seriously & b/c it is just the nose & ears & throat..I dunno..I guess it is their job & specialty..but I dunno..
    Have you considered allergy shots? Or surgery?

Last edited by moderator2; 03-07-2004 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 07-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #3
    donut74
    (male)

donut74 HB User
    Re: Eustachian tube dysfunction

My problem seemed to start about 4 years ago with a throat infection and a blocked feeling in my ears & feeling really spaced out. Hearing tests have always shown a slight loss in hearing , pressure tests showed a lot of negative pressure in the ears. I have tried various allergy sprays(currently flixonase), oral steroids and now have long term t tubes in my ears(after 4 sets of normal ear tubes(grommets). The thing is even with the tubes I still fell very spaced out the whole time & find simple tasks at work impossible(like i am really stupid), have tinitus and a strange pulsating whoosh in my ears. Very occasionally my left ear(the better side) will pop, but the rest of the time my Eustachinan tubes are completely blocked. If i drink alcohol at all it makes me feel even much worse(more spaced out). It now has really affected my social life not wanting to make plans to meet people as i never know how bad my ears/head will feel from one day to the next. I used to be a really lively outgoing , and witty person now i just seem to live in this constant spaced out world!

anyone know what i mean or am i just going crazy!

Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 AM   #4
    marjs_life

marjs_life HB User
    Angry Re: Eustachian tube dysfunction

no sweety your not going crazy this is a real problem with us
    ithey are studying ears and anxiety here in australia and i have agoraphobia and i get real balance problems as well as the ear and throat problems....i think ears play a big part in a lot of these anxiety disorders expecially depersonalisation and derealisation.....eustachian tube dysfunction is really underated in the overall health system...its a terrible disorder and reeks havoc on our lives

Closed Thread