It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• can u disconnect hearing on one ear?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2004, 10:42 PM   #1
    joeyd5641

joeyd5641 HB User
    can u disconnect hearing on one ear?

is there any way or any how to disconnect hearing to an ear ? bc i would rather have no hearing in the ear then have all hearing that goes into it be shrieky and distorted..does anyone know how i would possibly get rid of hearing in one ear to get rid of this insanity.?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #2
    wp1
    (female)

wp1 HB User
    Re: can u disconnect hearing on one ear?

Big hugs to you!!! If you are asking this question, then you are pretty miserable. I know how that feels because I've asked my neurotologist the very same question and the answer is no. Your brain will look for a signal no matter what so even cutting the nerve does not make the tinnitus go away and can make it much much worse. He said that they tried this at some point in hearing disorder history and it made things much worse and the incidence of suicide amongst this crowd grew due to how much worse it made everything. I've thought the same as you though, I'd rather hear absolutely nothing than the sounds I do hear. I don't know how long you've been living with it but I do find that I get more and more used to it as time goes by. Just as your brain can adjust to a balance problem, it can also learn to tune out some of that noise over time.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #3
    joeyd5641

joeyd5641 HB User

ya but my problem is only there when noises go into my ear.it is not tinnitus but it is a noise distortion when any noise goes into my ear that is very severe.so i was hoping getting rid of hearing in one ear would stop noise from going into it.then i was hoping i could get a hearing aid that sends the hearing from the one good ear to the deaf ear to be able to hear.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
    Dubble T

Dubble T HB User

I feel the same way about my hearing problem!!

My doctor says that IF my hearing comes back then it will do so within a year. I am going to give it that year and then after that ask him about if there is a way to just have total silence in that ear. It is better than the noises I hear and the vibrations i get now!

Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #5
    wp1
    (female)

wp1 HB User

I know exactly what you mean by the distortion. That distortion is actually a scrambled signal and your brain will try to pick it up no matter what you do. I'm saying that docs can't sever a nerve and make all hearing go away. Your brain will still search and will return a noise like tinnitus. I'm probably not explaining this very well. You wouldn't hear silence like you think, it would be replaced by whatever symphony your brain decides to fire off all the time. I have horrid horrid tinnitus. It is as loud as any conversation I have. I also have the sensorneural hearing loss so I have the completely distorted noises when I can hear something. I wanted it all to end and to hear nothing...no tinnitus or distorted noises and I was told it had been tried and it doesn't work and makes you more miserable. I'm sorry it isn't the answer that you would like. It really sucks hearing the distorted noises. For about six months, they made me physically sick to my stomach but I'm pretty used to it now and it's been almost a year.

BTW, NONE of my hearing has come back this last year.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

I have sensorineural hearing loss.
    To hear nothing all I have to do is take off my hearing aid.
    I actually do, some days when I'm home alone, leave my hearing aid off.. just for a moment's peace. But it's dangerous to be without sound. Sound alerts you to things..like machines and cars. Sound ( even distorted ) alerts you that someone is trying to communicate with you.

YES, you will learn to live with the distortion. You will learn to lipread to clarify the sound your brain is hearing for the words people speak.
    With the aid on the sound I hear is rather like normal people would hear a radio voice when the dial is between channels..very distorted.
    The people who sell hearing aids "say" there are new very very expensive hearing aids that can do away with the distortion.
    The audiologists says "Not for your ears" actually the audiologist is surprised I can get any sound with a hearing aid. But I do and I feel even distorted sound is MUCH better than none.

I also have tinnitus. Wish I didn't. Over the years I have found my tinnitus is at it's worse when I am tired or sick. There are days when I don't have much tinnitus at all and I forget I even have it. But there are other days when it rules my every thought and I have to concentrate very hard to understand even lipreading over the distraction of tinnitus.

They say playing tapes of "white sound" in the background helps lessen tinnitus, but that only works for people with enough hearing to hear the white sound.

I'm no newbie to hearing loss.. I got my first hearing aid in 1972 (or around then) We can say I speak from 30 years experience with this.

I can't believe anyone would seriously want to make themselves totally stone deaf in even one ear via voluntary surgery. Medical science may find a cure tomorrow. There is huge hope to cure sensorineural hearing loss via gene therapy. The gene that currently shows wonderful promise for us is called MAIL-1 and they are really really working hard on it.

If you don't like the sound coming into your ear wear ear plugs.
    That's a lot cheaper and safer answer than permanent surgery.
    People who work around loud machinery wear them all the time to keep the noise out and protect thier ear drums.
    Every drug store sells them cheap.

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-23-2004 at 06:10 PM.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
    joeyd5641

joeyd5641 HB User

then how do people go deaf and not hear anything? couldnt i send a signal from my good ear to my bad ear and have that noise be transmitted into the deaf ear?

Old 03-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #8
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeyd5641
    then how do people go deaf and not hear anything?
    There are many reasons that people go deaf.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joeyd5641
    couldnt i send a signal from my good ear to my bad ear and have that noise be transmitted into the deaf ear?

Sorry. I don't mean to sound cold-hearted. But no it just doesn't work that way. I wish it was fixable.. You have no idea how badly I wish that.

I suggest you read some articles on hearing loss. Here is a Medline link to a page with many articles available concerning hearing loss.
    [url]http://search.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/query?MAX=500&SERVER1=server1&SERVER2=se rver2&PARAMETER=sensorineural+hearing+lo ss&DISAMBIGUATION=true&FUNCTION=search&x =40&y=9[/url]

I wish you luck and hope your hearing straightens up.

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-23-2004 at 06:12 PM.

Old 03-24-2004, 05:54 AM   #9
    Dubble T

Dubble T HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowmelts
    I have sensorineural hearing loss.

If you don't like the sound coming into your ear wear ear plugs.
    If that would help me then I would but even with ear plug I have a very annoying sound in my ear! I would welcome no hearing in my right ear. It would be better than the distractoin of the sound I have now. If I had no sound in my right ear I would be able to actually hear a lot better. Now, because of the sound in my ear I find it very hard to hear people talking to me and that is with AWESOME hearing in my left ear. My audiologist says that the hearing in my left ear is incredibally good!!

Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
    boggen

boggen HB User

for myself i to wish i could deaf in one ear.

myself got a cyst in the outer cartlidge around the TMJ joint. and scince then have had hyper sensitivity to sound in that spot every scince even after getting nerves cut, tons of different drugs. and spending $50,000+ seeing doctors clear across central united states.

if you are wanting to block sounds from your ear and i am guessing the general ear plugs / ear muffs (headphone) are not blocking out all the sounds needed (like my case.)

my grandpa a hearing aid saler / maker has worked with me to create a custom molding of my entire ear that damn near blocks all the sounds out.

i wish a study would get going on this problem seems more and more problems have been showing up as late on the internet of people wanting complete no hearing from one ear due to pain from sounds / vibrations themselves.

Closed Thread