It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• Tinnitus

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
    Sara9347

Sara9347 HB User
    Tinnitus

I've had tinnitus since I was about 9 or so. It used to be really terrible- I had trouble sleeping because the ringing was so loud. I don't have any hearing loss, thankfully-and I go out of my way to protect my hearing. I'm 18 now and it seems the ringing has subsided some-I also leave a radio or the television on so the sound drowns out any buzzing. Does anyone with tinnitus have any advice? Any personal treaments that have helped? Grateful for any comments....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Tinnitus

Hon,

All I can advise is to keep the SCREAMING noises to a minimum.

What they DON'T know about tinnitus could fill ENCYCLOPEDIAS.

It affflicts a lot of us...and eventually gets put on the back burner...allmost unnoticed.

Claims arre made fore HCTZ (diuretic) and diazepam (tranquilizer)

Best just ignore it.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
    Bill Garvy

Bill Garvy HB User
    Re: Tinnitus

Sarah,

Do a search for Tinnitus Retraining Therapy, or TRT. It has helped me a lot, and I was just diagnosed with tinnitus with a hearing loss in my left ear, where my tinnitus currently resides. The pitch of my hearing loss, 8kHz, is the pitch of the tinnitus ringing. My perception is that my left ear hears better, but my recent audiological examination proved otherwise.

Regardless, the goal of TRT is "habituation" which, by analogy, is like living near the "L" tracks here in Chicago. At first the sound of the trains keeps you up all night, but before you know it, you hardly hear the trains at all, unless you listen for them. Our brains are a powerful tool, it's simply an issue of learning how to use them.

Since early June, when my tinnitus started, there are only certain times when I hear it. What helps me is being in a sound enriched environment, and avoiding "extreme" silence. The sounds of fans, a white noise generator that simulates the sound of the surf pounding on the shore, provide enough of a sound distraction to keep my mind from "revisiting" my tinnitus and focusing too much attention on it. I would suggest natural sounds as a source of the necessary sound enrichment as opposed to the sounds of a television or radio, but either way, find what preference works for you.

Be aware of those circumstances when you can not hear yours. It is usually natural sounds that seem to provide that very important sound enrichment I mentioned. I understand it can take a year to a year and a half to become habituated. I am hopeful.

There was an experiment done in the early 50's where they placed 80 or so tinnitus free subjects in a sound proof room, and then asked them to report on what they heard. Thinking they were being subjected to some kind of hearing test/experiment, 90%+ of the subjects reported hearing sounds similar to the sounds of tinnitus, i.e. ringing, buzzing, clicking, and so forth.

I think we all have tinnitus to some degree or another, its just a question of the circumstances that bring us to its awareness, whether through hearing loss, ear infection, or some other means.

As I concentrate and focus on writing my response to you now, my tinnitus fades into the background a bit. I think you can catch where I am going with this. Best wishes to you, and remember, that which does not kill me makes me stronger.

Last edited by Bill Garvy; 07-26-2004 at 06:50 PM.

Closed Thread